The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 06:11 PM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough
Default Maintenance

Hey ya'll,
I'm sure this has been gone over before, but I cannot find what I am looking for. I was wondering some of the things to do to clean a fly rod after you are done fishing or just cleaning to keep it nice. It is winter and I have nothing to do, so I figure I might as well try to maintain my rods and reels nicely. lol I fish freshwater only, so no salt to worry about. Just curious, never really paid much attention to keeping my spinning rods and reels clean, but I have tons of those, I have only 2 fly rods and I want to keep them nice as long as i can!
One of them I have used a few times, and I have yet to clean it at all.
And the other one is new, so I was wondering what I should be doing while I can't get out on the water, so when it gets warm I can go.
Thanks for the help everyone! Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thank you once again,
HookEmHorns
Old 02-03-2009, 08:34 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Maintenance

You can wash them with water & mild soap. I use paste Turtle Car wax on
mine after I clean them. Don't wax the cork grip or leave it soapy or that big one could get away & take your rod with him. I figure I clean my guns whether they need it or not so I'll clean my rods & clean & lube my reels at least once a year.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Every thing gets a wash down if fishing in salt or muddy water after each use, and rods put away in tubes, reels in cases to prevent breakage.

The only other thing I do is back off on the drag of reels so the cork washers (or whatever) don't stay compressed, and lines get cleaned before each season and as necessary after fishing.

peregrines
Old 02-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
You can wash them with water & mild soap. I use paste Turtle Car wax on
mine after I clean them. Don't wax the cork grip or leave it soapy or that big one could get away & take your rod with him. I figure I clean my guns whether they need it or not so I'll clean my rods & clean & lube my reels at least once a year.
I agree. A coat of wax every so often helps keep em looking good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Every thing gets a wash down if fishing in salt or muddy water after each use, and rods put away in tubes, reels in cases to prevent breakage.

The only other thing I do is back off on the drag of reels so the cork washers (or whatever) don't stay compressed, and lines get cleaned before each season and as necessary after fishing.
Now that is a really great idea, I've never thought about the cork staying compressed. Thanks peregrines.
peregrines

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-04-2009, 09:21 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I fished saltwater with a Medalist reel 19 years so I learned by necessity that reel maintenance is critical.....
Even my reels that never see saltwater get stripped down at least every other year. I use a toothbrush with soap and water on everything, then they get oiled and lubed.
It's really easy to loose small drag pieces or get confused on what goes where, so keep track and work in a well lit area where little springs and tiny screws and washers aren't going to fly off or roll away.
Most people well versed in this will tell you tube your spindle, springs, pawl, etc with Quantum 'Hot Sauce', but you can find the equivalent from Mitchell and Penn also
Back in my Medalist days, I used 3in1 Oil on the entire reel and a thin coating of axel grease on the spindle.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:36 AM

Ok. I have a ton of liquid wax because I am so anal about keeping my Jeep clean. Lol Will that work for the fly rod if I put it on a microfiber towel or something? Sorry for being a pain, just wondering if that stuff would work. I know the liquid wax is basically the same, so I figure it should be alright. It sucks being OCD about everything all the time!
Thanks y'all,
HookEmHorns
Old 02-04-2009, 06:16 PM

MontanaMoose will become famous soon enoughMontanaMoose will become famous soon enough

I'll say no to the liquid wax, though some may argue that and they may be right. I say no because a lot of liquid car wax/polish has petroleum distillates in the formula. Check yours and see. Again, I could be all wet here but I used paste or at least something that doesn't contain P D's...

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
Old 02-04-2009, 06:33 PM

That makes a lot of sense. I never thought about that. Thank you for pointing that out!

HookEmHorns
Old 02-04-2009, 07:17 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I didn't capitalize the PASTE Wax in my earlier post. I use that because that's what I have around & have never had any trouble with it. You don't really have to rub it into the rod , like you would a car, it's already clean. I just put it on with a soft cloth ( & I ck. my guides for wear with the cloth & a Q tip), let it dry for a few min. & buff it lightly............
Old 02-04-2009, 07:41 PM

Thank you all for the help! I really appreciate it. I am completely obsessive compulsive about my stuff, especially when it comes to things that I am passionate about (Fly fishing for one lol). If anybody has any other ideas, or tricks, or advice, or anything at all then let me know! I'm always willing to learn some new things.
Thanks again everybody!
HookEmHorns