The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 11:19 PM

i want to catch fish will become famous soon enough
Default what do you use to dye your buck tail

well i do hunt and fly fish but my ? is i have 10 buck tails from deer that my dad and buddies gave me over the last year and was wondering how do you die your bucktails i dont want 10 white and brown tails you konw what i mean
Old 02-04-2009, 08:18 AM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: what do you use to dye your buck tail

I have used Rit dies in the past with success. After taking out the tails from the dye bath, I dip them in a mix of water and vinegar. That seems to set the color. Make sure to remove as much fat as possible before. And wash the bucktails in warm water and mild soap. This helps remove the oils from the hair so the dye penetrates. I have also heard of Kool-Aid being used but have not tried it myself. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:29 AM

thank you
Old 02-04-2009, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

There is a great book by A.K. Best about dying and Bleaching that would also give you some good tips and may help you also.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-04-2009, 08:55 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

One year, I did a good portion of 3 full hides with Rit dye
Make sure that they don't 'overcook'.
The hair will get brittle and they'll be ruined.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:20 AM

nearnuff is on a distinguished road

I use unsweetned Kool Aid to die natural fibers. I find it easy, cost effective and great results. my method as follows;
Take your bucktail and wash well in water with dish detergent, rinse and set aside. This is to remove any grease or dirt. Take 1 pk of Kool Aid and add 1 cup water, place in a glass jar(Mason) put a piece of plastic over the mouth and hold in place with elastic band. Poke a small hole in plastic. Put in Microwave and nuke for 1 min high. Remove and add 1 tablespoon vinigar and stir, this is to fix the dye. Add bucktail replace plastic and nuke for 1 min. If the colour is not dark enough do another min and ck. You can do this 3-4 times and after that it doesn't get any more intense. Remove buktail rinse well and enjoy! Hope this helps!
Old 02-04-2009, 01:15 PM

wow thanks everyone gonna give it a try later let you konw how it turns out