The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 03:06 PM

fishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Fly fishing for Pike!?

Dhayden, FWP told me that they were coming from some guys pond around the area. My dad caught it on a 5 weight line with 1x tippet, hehe. They are def. around that area and multiplying. Help out your fellow native trout by killing a few.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I fish for them for the same reason Nerka stated. They are taking over our lake out at the cabin and there are very few Sockeye returning and fewer every year. The pike are at the root of the falling number of salmon and trout and I release none.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-06-2011, 03:23 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishalong View Post
Dhayden, FWP told me that they were coming from some guys pond around the area. My dad caught it on a 5 weight line with 1x tippet, hehe. They are def. around that area and multiplying. Help out your fellow native trout by killing a few.
That's cool.. I'll have to check that out.

If you can, let me know where.. I'm surprised they're classified as game fish in Central
Old 01-07-2011, 01:46 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I fish for them for the same reason Nerka stated. They are taking over our lake out at the cabin and there are very few Sockeye returning and fewer every year. The pike are at the root of the falling number of salmon and trout and I release none.

Ard
I have heard about that, Lake Creek and a lot of the western Susitna tribs are loaded with them.
ADF&G went through all this trouble of poisoning Sand Lake in Anchorage to get rid of the pike. They dumped a boatload of char into Sand last year and I hear they are catching pike again through the ice these days.

When it comes to the stocking issue, I think they need to just designate one of the lakes in Anchorage as a pike lake and quit dumping little stockers in it. Let the folks who want to chase pikes go there.

The situation in many of the western AK major watersheds is different. Bristol Bay will have them and lots of them, but it seems to be more of a natural balance.

I dont release pike either, and them being good eating doesnt help thier cause.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I do it a lot. There was just another thread about this the other day. I posted the following;
pike on the fly
Old 01-11-2011, 01:32 PM

hmongtana is on a distinguished road

i just started fly fishing for northerns a couple years ago... been pretty successful... it's a blast!

Click the image to open in full size.