The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 03:34 PM

flyguyvr4 is on a distinguished road
Default Fly fishing for Pike!?

Does anyone here fly fish for pike?
Old 11-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly fishing for Pike!?

I've never tried it, but forum member Gar is pretty successful at it:
Pike attck!

Larry

Old 12-01-2010, 06:56 AM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough

I caught my first few pike on the fly this past season... biggest was 9lbs and loads of fun... I will hunt more in future seasons, I have a river close to my house that regularly yields 20lb+ fish...
Old 12-01-2010, 08:00 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

For me, pike are my late winter/early spring target. I wade fish for them pre-spawn when they're staging, waiting for the marshes where they spawn to flood.
Pike aren't exactly hard battlers in the icy runoff water, but there's lots of them and they're willing to eat. And it's a good excuse to get out before the trout and striper seasons get rolling

Last edited by Rip Tide; 12-01-2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: moron
Old 12-01-2010, 11:29 AM

fishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of light

Take a look at my Avatar, it's my father with a 30" inch plus Pike he caught near Toston Montana, FWP is pissed they are there, so we go and catch them and make sure they don't eat any more trout. They are fun as heck to catch on a fly rod, it feels like you caught a log at first. Stripping anything flashy we'll attract them.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

fishalong-- that's a great avatar and a heck of a fish- very cool!

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

fishalong-- that's a great avatar and a heck of a fish- very cool!
Old 12-01-2010, 01:17 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah... that fish is a lot longer than 30"
Close to 4', I'd say
Nice
Old 01-05-2011, 09:48 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishalong View Post
Take a look at my Avatar, it's my father with a 30" inch plus Pike he caught near Toston Montana, FWP is pissed they are there, so we go and catch them and make sure they don't eat any more trout. They are fun as heck to catch on a fly rod, it feels like you caught a log at first. Stripping anything flashy we'll attract them.
I just read this post.. that's so close to here I wouldn't mind trying it.

You can catch them in the Missouri there?

Thanks, Dave
Old 01-05-2011, 02:52 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

I really miss fly fishing for northern pike back home in Michigan on Lake St Clair. I was just reading a good article the other day called "Northern pike fly fishing techniques" here is the link.
http://www.essortment.com/all/fishingnorthern_rmds.htm
Old 01-05-2011, 11:19 PM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

I like to fish for pike to throw in a little variety, I know some really amazing spots in western Alaska where they get big and are plentiful.
In some areas pike are taking over in areas of rivers and lakes from illegal stocking and thier range is growing. In those cases I do my duty to throw a few in the boat.

I managed a 40in pike on a 3wt as an accident. Fun fight and it put my gear to the test. If he wouldnt have just managed to catch my leech pattern barely in his lips my 6x leader didnt stand a chance.

In reality pike dont have the endurance that most trout and pretty much all salmon have. So for me it is all about the thrill of the strike. A pikes flash and splash is always exciting.