The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 11:14 AM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about
Default Questions about buying some new flyline.

First a little background.

I am fishing with an fast action 8 wt. I currently have 2 lines for it. I have an 8wt WF floating, and a 9 wt WF 250 grain sinking. I find that the 9 wt line is quite a bit easier when I am casting heavily weighted streamers, however having a full sinking line while river fishing can sometimes be a pain in the butt. I bought 2 extra spools with my reel when i bought my real, so whatever line i buy isnt going to replace one of my old lines.

So should i go with a full floating line, or a sink tip line? I have never fished with a sink tip line.

I am looking at going with a bass taper, do they make bass tapered flylines that are sinktip?

Also would I be better waiting until after winter to buy a flyline? I do a fair bit of winter fishing, and i dont want the line to be a coiled mess(like all my other lines) right away.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:47 PM

rowdy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Questions about buying some new flyline.

The sinking line is thinner that's why it casts easier. It cuts the wind better.
How deep do you need to fish..that will answer if a sink-tip will do.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi MTskibum,

Since you already have a floating and full sinking why not go with a Sink Tip line. SA has one with a graduated density sink tip that is 13' long in an 8wt. That was my main fly line in Alaska. To me it is a lot easier to fish in a river than a full sinking line. I think Teeny sells one that has a 5' tip but I don't think it is graduated density.

The floating part of the line makes it easier to control your drifts and to me it is a lot easier to pick up. I like to get the tip moving on a pick up and then do a roll cast in the air to pick up the tip. It worked for me.

Frank

SA Graduated density Sink Tip
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:46 PM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold

Maybe this is a way to remove the coiled mess ?
Click the image to open in full size.
This is a tip from http://www.pechetruit.com
Trygve
Old 02-04-2009, 04:57 PM

Farnsrocket is on a distinguished road

^^ Cool tip!
Old 02-04-2009, 05:36 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Frank, I checked the 2 local stores that I want to buy from(i try to alternate buying local and online), and neither had that line.

Do you know anything about the Jim Teeny Chuck and Duck fly lines? They are a sink tip, with 8 feet of sinking section.

Here is a quote from their website about these lines. Does that mean that i cant cast these fly lines in the conventional way? Or are they just talking about a non conventional roll cast? Also, it sounds like this fly line is for nymphing, do you think it would be hard to cast heavily weighted streamers with it?
Quote:
These lines work best with a Fast Action Rod. If you should try to back cast once, it should be with an open loop and overhand forward cast, which is a lob type cast. With the right timing you will get good distance.
Jim Teeny Fly Lines
This link doesnt work quite right, click on chuck and duck on the left hand side.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:48 AM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of

Have you looked at the SA streamer Express lines, they are great for streamer fishing. They are a longer sink tip line that you purchase by grain weight rather than by the rod size. I have been using them for a couple of years and love them for streamer fishing.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

First, one buys "A" flyline, not "SOME" flyline.

Second, I would get a sinking polyleader to add onto your 8wt line. It will add weight to it so that it casts a bit more like a 9wt, and give you more flexibility on the water. You can likely get every sink rate available in polyleaders for less than the cost of a dedicated sink tip line. There are also multiple lengths available: 5' and 10' are most common.

PolyLeaders

TCO Fly Shop - Leaders RIO Sinking - RIO Sinking Leaders

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.