The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 08:15 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Foam for fly???

You another thing you may want to try for your snake body is a strip of rabbit. You could buy a whole hide and cut out some pretty long strips. If you got a black pelt, with the whitish skin, it would make a pretty good black rat snake imitation.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 02-04-2009, 08:18 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

How would stringing a bunch of foam cylinders on a length of heavy mono, tying a knot between each cylinder & threading the length of it thru a length of Corsair or some woven mylar tubing. You could put a trailer hook on the end. It should work but I think it will be a real bi<*h to cast ..
Old 02-04-2009, 09:03 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
I don't know how long a snake you have in mind, but I like to fish a snake fly myself. I actually use foam for the head, but then use some long hackles for the body. You keep the weight down, and the hackles really undulate nicely in the water. I would say my flies end up being 7 or 8 inches long, if you want something longer, you might have a tough time finding long eough hackles.

Just a thought.

If you want to stick with all foam, I think fishinbear has the right idea. I think I'd skip the superglue, just sting them on and put a knot between each cylinder. I'd leave a bit of space between the cylinders to allow them to freely move. Only potential problem I see is with the finished weight of the whole thing.

Good luck, have fun.
DUHHHH, I didnt think that one out much lol if he glued the ends together it wouldnt have much movement hu. I would still maybe put a dab of glue on the string.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:32 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

OK, here are a couple flies I found after digging in my boxes, the first one is a hopper/spider I tied with two diffrent color foam sheets from walmart.
The second one is a snake I bought at Cabelas. The tail looks like a very big chenniel, burnt on the end like a san juan. I have not been able to find anything like this material to ty some more up.
Hope this gives ya some ideals.
Bear
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1670.jpg (83.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1671.jpg (84.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1672.jpg (81.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-05-2009, 07:40 AM

BlakeInOH is on a distinguished road

Arfishinbear,

That snake looks awesome! How big is it? That looks better than what I was thinking. I planned on using about 6-8, 1" pieces of cylinder foam all tied together to help with its movement in the water. I figured it would be able to "slither" on top of the water this way. Using a piece of mono sounds like a good idea, I just hope it doesn't get too heavy. Hell I even thought about gluing each piece of foam to a hook, then attaching the hooks together like trailer hooks. So we'd have 6-8 pieces of foam, each glued to a hook, which are then connected to each other. Now that might be a little heavy, but you'd at least be guaranteed a hook set. Does that make sense? Does anyone else have any pics of fly snakes or worms? Keep the ideas coming, this is great!
Old 02-05-2009, 08:59 AM

The snake is about 5-6 inches long. I would'nt put a hook in every peice of your foam, not only would it be heavy as hell, you would more then likely get a hook in your hand pretty fast if you cught a bass and if your cast was a little off from the wind or what ever, and it hit ya in the back of the head or neck,,,, it would more then likely mean a trip to the local ER lol.
I use a lot of 4-7 inch jerk baits and 6-8 inch rubber worms when bass fishing conventional gear and all most every bass on the jerk baits is hooked on the fron hook and the worms hooks never go more then about a third of the worms lenght.
For the snake I posted a pick of its just a slidder head(that you can buy allready made) glued to a hook, eyes glued on and a big fat peice of chenneil looking stiff burnt on the end. If you found all the stuff you could probaly make 6 in less then half and hour
Bear
Old 02-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
How would stringing a bunch of foam cylinders on a length of heavy mono, tying a knot between each cylinder & threading the length of it thru a length of Corsair or some woven mylar tubing. You could put a trailer hook on the end. It should work but I think it will be a real bi<*h to cast ..
Heavy mono would be too stiff. Something like 50# backing or some sort of braid would move alot more. But I agree, that thing would be like casting a kite.

I wanted to make sure another foam technique was thrown into this thread. It's one that Gary Lafontaine originated on his fly called the Airhead

Click the image to open in full size.

You use the thin translucent foam that's used to wrap electronics and such, cut it into long thin strips (xacto knife and straightedge recommended), and then tie it in bullet-head form like you would a MadamX, Thunder Creek minnow, etc. The stuff is available in multiple thicknesses, ranging from about 1mm to 3+mm. Gary loved it because it catches lots of light and looks to the fish like the fly has a glowing halo.

I've been meaning to tie up some larger streamers using this for the head, but its behind the vday swap flies in line.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:49 AM

dman will become famous soon enough

Drill press...

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:02 PM

dman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfishinbear View Post
You might be able to some stuff with it, but I doubt much. Its an open cell foam, wich means when you cut it in very small pieces it will not float very good. What you want is closed cell foam. The bottoms of foam flip flops work great.
Bear
Are you sure it's open cell?
If it were wouldn't it soak up water like a sponge?
It floats kids!

Another handy source of foam plugs is "backer rod"...comes in several diameters...unfortunately I've only found gray...kind of mousy though...I've painted over it too.

I really like that chartreuse worm/snake...how do you suppose they got such a nice even taper???
Old 02-05-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
Are you sure it's open cell?
If it were wouldn't it soak up water like a sponge?
It floats kids!

Another handy source of foam plugs is "backer rod"...comes in several diameters...unfortunately I've only found gray...kind of mousy though...I've painted over it too.

I really like that chartreuse worm/snake...how do you suppose they got such a nice even taper???
The out side is heated to close the foam cells, if you cut into it, it's more open, wich is fine if its in a real big peice as in a swim float, we even cut it into smaller sections and run "jug" line for catfish with the stuff they run about 2-3 foot when we cut them in sections for that. It also a very soft foam wich makes it easy to cut with tying thread. Like I said you could probaly do some stuff with it, but other foams are better.
Ofcourse this all come from my personal expeiance playing with diffrent foams for bluegill and bass bugs, some one may know a mathod of useing this stuff that I dont.
Bear