The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2009, 01:16 PM

dman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Foam for fly???

Thanks for the info, Bear.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:14 PM

I'm going to specifically ask this again.

"I really like that chartreuse worm/snake...how do you suppose they got such a nice even taper???"

BTW..can't find it at Cabela's.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:59 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
I'm going to specifically ask this again.

"I really like that chartreuse worm/snake...how do you suppose they got such a nice even taper???"

BTW..can't find it at Cabela's.
Sorry I didnt answer that part, I really dont know, I would think its probaly something a company made just for that, its way to evenly tapperd to be cut by hand. Cabelas is good about coming out with things and only carrying them for a couple years, I was up there in KC Cabelas over christmas and didnt see any of those snakes, but I wasnt looking either.
I'll do some digging around and see if I can find somthing for ya.
Bear
Old 02-19-2009, 09:23 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I was in the local A.C. Moore craft store yesterday & they had foam in a variety of colors & thicknesses up to 1/2" They had foam letters.blocks & a grab bag of small foam pieces. I picked up a Chartreuse door sign about 3/8" thick that will make some nice bass flies.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:23 AM

I noticed at Michael's a couple of weeks ago a package of white foam cylingers...15/pk....these may be new to them...hadn't seen then before...I may go back and pick up a pack when I have a coupon

They are bigger than what you can punch out of most flip-flops.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:44 AM

BlakeInOH is on a distinguished road

I actually picked up a few of those foam letters. They're perfect! I've been able to make some nice snake heads out of it. I also got some Chenile stems in different colors to attach to the heads. The stems weren't exactly what I was looking for but they might do the trick.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:41 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Thumbs up Re: Foam for fly???

Blake, the pool floats will work for certain things. For your snake fly, try foam for the head as you already plan; and use polar hair or something like it for the body. It will have a tremendous amount of movement with very little weight.

Dan