The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 01:51 PM

BlakeInOH is on a distinguished road
Default Foam for fly???

Hey guys,

Quick question, would using a pool noodle work for tying flies? Obviously I would cut it down to size, but is that something that would be durable? I know it floats and it would probably be one of the cheaper ways I can think of to get an abundance of foam. Anyone tried this? Thanks!
Old 02-04-2009, 02:01 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Foam for fly???

I think so, but that stuff could get a little "crummy" after it's been hit a time or two. I'd probably coat it in something clear to hole it together.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:34 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

You might be able to some stuff with it, but I doubt much. Its an open cell foam, wich means when you cut it in very small pieces it will not float very good. What you want is closed cell foam. The bottoms of foam flip flops work great.
Bear
Old 02-04-2009, 02:36 PM

Where can I get some closed cell foam aside from a flip flop? Is that something that Home Depot or Lowes would sell?
Old 02-04-2009, 02:46 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I have never seen it there, you can buy it from some fly shops, Rainys makes alot of closedcell foam. You can also find stuff at a crafts store, those paint sponges that have a flower or some **** on them work good, foam sheets from walmart make good flies, glue two or three colors together with a spray glue and cut out bodies for ants, beetles, frogs, stuff like that. If you are wanting to make bass poppers wapsi makes these great kits, you glue the popper body on the hook, paint, ty on a tail and your set.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:49 PM

Awesome, thanks a lot guys!
Old 02-04-2009, 02:50 PM

no problem, hope I helpd ya
Old 02-04-2009, 02:50 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

You could probably get some closed cell foam from a craft store. I know my wife has some that I've used for other things.

Along those lines, would sheet cork work? Again, you'd probably have to put on some cement, then paint over it. Hmmm, I might have to experiment with that.

That's what I love about not knowing jack about this and having no one around to teach me: I can expriment and if I screw it up, I just chalk it up as a learning experience then move on.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
You could probably get some closed cell foam from a craft store. I know my wife has some that I've used for other things.

Along those lines, would sheet cork work? Again, you'd probably have to put on some cement, then paint over it. Hmmm, I might have to experiment with that.

That's what I love about not knowing jack about this and having no one around to teach me: I can expriment and if I screw it up, I just chalk it up as a learning experience then move on.
I am not sure about sheet cork man, its pretty easy to break and crumble, of course if you glued it and painted it maybe?
Old 02-04-2009, 02:56 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

The flip flop foam works great. It's super cheap, if you go to a dollar store, you'll have no trouble finding a pair for a buck. It ties nice and the flies are tough as shoe leather, well, flip flop foam.

Click the image to open in full size.

If you want some thinner stuff, 2mm - 5mm, you can get sheets at any craft store or walmarts. It's usually about .50 a sheet.

Click the image to open in full size.

Between those two, you are pretty much covered for cheap foam material.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo