The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default HANDLING THE COST OF MATERIALS etc.

I notice a good many posts from new fly fishers expressing budgetary constraints in regard to purchasing tying and fishing equipment.

Admittedly it has been years since I've needed to make large capital investment in materials or equipment but when I did I dealt with small shops not warehouse type stores. I was never turned down in a request to do a lay away purchase. Provided I was able to produce at least 30 - 40% of the real cost. This covers most of the dealers investment and if you intend to pick up the item within a reasonable length of time everyone was happy to accommodate me.

In these hard economic times even a fly shop may be willing to take in some money as opposed to none on during the slow season. Do your self a favor when you find that perfect grade "A" cape (or whatever) but can't throw down $60 for it, ask to lay it away. You might just get what you want without using credit or breaking the bank.

Yeah, I'm old fashioned but over the years I got what I needed with no balance due when I walked out the door.

Ard
Old 02-04-2009, 02:49 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: HANDLING THE COST OF MATERIALS etc.

Great advice, Ard
Old 02-04-2009, 03:47 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to be negative here but I remember a recent post on another site where the guy had put down a substantial deposit on a rod as layaway.
When he got up the rest of the bucks....surprise... the rod was gone.
Sold to someone with ready cash.
The guy was PI$$ED!!
I'm not saying not to trust the shop owners, but they need money more than they need idle inventory. Don't expect that sweet cape to still be there just 'cuz you plunked down a few bucks
I may be wrong (and it would be nice if I was), but those days are gone.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:50 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Wish my town had a small fly shop. We had one years ago but he moved his business to a town 80 miles away. Guess I'll have to trek down there one day. Love to see what they have to offer. I've dealt with some fly shops online but not quite the same thing.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I don't want to be negative here but I remember a recent post on another site where the guy had put down a substantial deposit on a rod as layaway.
The guy was PI$$ED!!
Bird in hand vs. bird in the bush. If I were the shop owner, I would think the right thing to do is to sell the rod to the guy with all the dollars and place an order for another for the layaway guy right when the other walked out the door. If it was a discontinued sale item, that's a little fuzzier.

One has to also think about not wanting to run off the guy walking in with all the dollars.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:51 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
The guy was PI$$ED!!
I'm not saying not to trust the shop owners, but they need money more than they need idle inventory. Don't expect that sweet cape to still be there just 'cuz you plunked down a few bucks
I may be wrong (and it would be nice if I was), but those days are gone.
If you buy from me and want me to hold it for a reasonable time, i will. I don't need the cash that quick...Guess I'm old fasioned...
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-04-2009, 06:30 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Bird in hand vs. bird in the bush. If I were the shop owner, I would think the right thing to do is to sell the rod to the guy with all the dollars and place an order for another for the layaway guy right when the other walked out the door. If it was a discontinued sale item, that's a little fuzzier.

One has to also think about not wanting to run off the guy walking in with all the dollars.
That is true, but if the guy wanted to sell the thing like that, he shouldnt have agreed to do the layaway thing in the first place. Unless like you said he would have put an order in for another.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Bravo to you Sandfly!!!!!

You and I obviously hail from another era. I never placed my friends at either Slate Run Or Waterville in a position where I made them wait for payment beyond our agreement. The shop owners being successful and honest as I can see you are, would never have dreamed of dishonoring our deal, and I always paid as agreed.

This is not a question of whether or not I could pay the full amount of a new Orvis Bambo rod at once or not it was a matter of convenience for me and trust for the shop owner.

Ard
Old 02-05-2009, 08:17 PM

rowdy will become famous soon enough

I bought my last 3 guitars by paying the Shop Owner $100/month & never had to leave collatoral after the first time!
An Honest man goes far in this world.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:22 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Bravo to you Sandfly!!!!!

You and I obviously hail from another era. I never placed my friends at either Slate Run Or Waterville in a position where I made them wait for payment beyond our agreement. The shop owners being successful and honest as I can see you are, would never have dreamed of dishonoring our deal, and I always paid as agreed.

This is not a question of whether or not I could pay the full amount of a new Orvis Bambo rod at once or not it was a matter of convenience for me and trust for the shop owner.

Ard
I'm in total agreement that once a deal is struck, all parties need to stick to it. It's a matter of personal responsibility. If the shop says they are going to hold the rod, they need to hold it, period. When the customer says they are going to pay for the rod, they need to pay for it, period.

I think we are seeing what happens to the economy and society when there is a lack of responsibility and trust. Things get bad, fast!

To add to the responsibility theme, if the customer is single, without other duties and responsibilities, if money is tight and they want to buy an expensive piece of equipment, that's great. However if said customer has a family or other outstanding debts, they should take care of those before committing to expensive equipment. I'm not saying they shouldn't go fishing, but nobody "needs" an "expensive" rod or reel to catch fish. Those are purely luxury items, and are way down the list of where limited funds should be spent. i.e. food, shelter, utilities, necessities for family; college fund for kids; saving for rainy day; braces for Sally; paying off other bills; etc

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo