The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 03:59 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Another piece of trivia someone told me

I was talking to a good friend who does underwater photography & we got to talking about flash, fish's cone of vision, what part of the dry fly a fish sees first, & the basic structure of a fish's eye. He brought up something that I just never gave any thought to.
When you take a fish out of water it's eye's sag down & the iris becomes off center. I've seen a few mounts that were done from photos & the eyes were put in slightly off center as the photo showed. If you look at a fish in the water the eye's bulge out evenly but gravity takes it's toll when you lift it out of the water. I know that this is trivial trivia & probably not worth posting but I posted it as a ...What do you Think?????
Old 02-04-2009, 04:17 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: Another piece of trivia someone told me

hummmmmm,,,,,,,,,,, that is kinda interesting. Never really noticed it
Bear
Old 02-04-2009, 04:31 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Some fish see as well out of the water as they do in
Check out the eye on this bluefish (not my picture)
He's looking straight at the photographer
If the guy was to put his finger anywhere near this fish.. he'd lose it... that fish can see just fine
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:31 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Bluefish ain't fish. They're toothed monsters. I don't know how a fish sees out of the water I was just commenting on what the fisheye looks like out of the water.......
I was stripper fishing in the surf in waist deep water & got a fairly large blue. the damm thing tried to eat my hand when I tried to get my fly out of it I have a healthy respect for those teeth & I swear it did glare at me.!!!
Old 02-04-2009, 07:47 PM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

That is some mean looking fish. I have to try that one of these days. Are they good fighters? The closest we have to that are northern pike which I fish for time to time and muskie which I haven't tried yet.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:56 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have to say bluefish are just about my favorite game fish
A lot of people don't care to fish for them because they destroy tackle, but that's what makes them fun. IMO
The have a tail built for speed, but they don't make terribly long runs except in shallow water, preferring to battle it out in fairly close.
They're veracious eaters that seemingly kill just for fun. Feeding 'till they're stuffed, regurgitating, then eating more. Corralling and then riping through schools of bait. Often the tightly packed bait schools will suffocate from lack of oxygen or launch themselves on to the beach to escape the slaughter.
A good sized 'bluefish blitz' can be deafening, and may go on hours as the bluefish follow and trap the bait.
A good fly rod bluefish will run about 36" and 15# but they do get bigger
Immature "snapper" blues are great fun on light tackle and medium sized ones are great on the grill... not at all "fishy' flavored like their big brothers.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:42 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I'd have to say bluefish are just about my favorite game fish
A lot of people don't care to fish for them because they destroy tackle, but that's what makes them fun. IMO
I'm with you on that! What's the sense in casting your flies at any fish if you're afraid of wearing them out?