The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 12:30 PM

famill00 will become famous soon enough
Default I am new to Flyfishing - Help!!

Hello all,

First let me introduce myself since this is my first post. I am 28 and live in the suburbs of Chicago with my wife and our Italian Greyhound. I have grown up hunting and fishing my whole life, but have never ventured into fly fishing. This all got started when I randomly bought a St. Croix rod on clearance at Cabelas a few months ago. For Christmas, I am getting more gear!

Here is a list of what I have so far (if I have been a good boy this year):
St. Croix Reign 9' 5 weight
Lamson Konic 2
Standard Cabelas Backing
5 weight WF F Scientific Angler GPX Line
Cabelas Waders/Boots (Breathable, got great reviews)
William Joseph Chest Pack

I also bought a Renzetti Traveler vise because I want to learn to tie flies this Winter. That has always been a venture I wanted to do since crappie fishing with jigs back in Kentucky.

I have been doing alot of studying and trying to buy the right things for a beginner. I don't feel like I need to spend thousands, but I do want to buy quality the first time.

Am I on the right track? What else do you suggest I get?

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

I forgot to add that I also bought a set of Dr. Slick tools for fly tying...
Old 12-01-2010, 12:58 PM

arkman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I am new to Flyfishing - Help!!

Looks like you got a good start. What is your intended target fish? That would help people get a better idea of stuff you might want to get.

I've never used the Renzetti Traveler but I've heard really great things about it. I know you will be happy with it. It will be a good vise to learn on. I have been using the same crappy vise that I got in my cabelas kit for about 13 years and just opened up my brand new peak rotary vise last night. I haven't even got to put a hook in it yet. But just playing around with that is enough to know that you will be happy with that vise.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:01 PM

Mostly small walleye, small bass, crappie, panfish, etc. I would love to go up to Wisconsin and fish for trout but I think it best that I find a fishing buddy who knows a little more than I do before I take on too big of an adventure.

Where do you guys buy your tying materials? Prices seem to vary greatly between Bass Pro Shops and Cabelas. Some things cheaper at one than at the other and some stuff way more expensive...
Old 12-01-2010, 01:06 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Looks good to me.
Now you just need to quit your job and fish every day
No seriously

You might want to pick up a few books to read over the winter. Your local library will get you started
Old 12-01-2010, 01:06 PM

franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by famill00 View Post
Mostly small walleye, small bass, crappie, panfish, etc. I would love to go up to Wisconsin and fish for trout but I think it best that I find a fishing buddy who knows a little more than I do before I take on too big of an adventure.

Where do you guys buy your tying materials? Prices seem to vary greatly between Bass Pro Shops and Cabelas. Some things cheaper at one than at the other and some stuff way more expensive...
You can get a lot of tying stuff for low prices at Crafts stores such as AC Moore
Old 12-01-2010, 01:11 PM

I never thought about craft stores. What components in particular are you talking about?

I would assume they have lead wire and thread. What type of thread would you use from the craft store?

Also, three library books are sitting next to me It's snowing in Chicago and the work load was very light today! I think I am on pot number 2 of coffee...
Old 12-01-2010, 02:03 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

[QUOTE=famill00;172814]Mostly small walleye, small bass, crappie, panfish, etc. I would love to go up to Wisconsin and fish for trout but I think it best that I find a fishing buddy who knows a little more than I do before I take on too big of an adventure.
QUOTE]

Most of the introductory fly tying manuals lean heavily toward trout fishing - Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying is one of the best to teach you tool usage, tying techniques, and then also shows how to tie many basic trout flies.

Perhaps one of the members can recommend a similar introduction to fly tying manual that is directed toward the species famill00 plans on fishing?
Old 12-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Famill00--

Welcome to the forum and congrats on starting out with some great gear.

The first things i'd do would be to look a round and see if there are any fly fishing clubs near you--- The Federation of Fly Fishers has affiliated clubs across the country, and they do a great job with education--- casting clinics, tying classes, informative meetings and group trips to local waters. Trout Unlimited although primarily dedicated to conservation of "cold water resources" (trout, steelhead and salmon) rather than a fishing "club", from a practical standpoint is mostly made up of fly fishing folks that often pursue a variety of other fish as well as trout. Both groups have a ton of things to offer for someone just starting out, and you'll learn a ton and meet some new fishing buddies besides. Here's some links for searching:

for FFF affiliated clubs Locate a Club

for TU chapters: Council/Chapter Contacts | Trout Unlimited - Conserving coldwater fisheries

As far as tying, goes, you're off to a great start with your vise and tools. Materials can be really confusing, and the temptation to buy all kinds of stuff will be very hard to resist. I would try and zero in on a few fairly simple patterns to tie that would be good for the fish you plan to chase, an just get the materials for those patterns. Based on what you're chasing, you might consider starting out with some woolly buggers (panfish, bass walleye, trout) clouser minnows (walleye and bass), and some small marabou streamers (crappie, small bass), Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear Nymph (panfish and trout). These are all fairly simple ties and use relatively inexpensive materials, and free step by step instructions and you tube vids can be found on the web.

You should also google "Matarelli whip finisher you tube" to learn how to use the whip finisher that came in your Dr Slick tool kit (an excellent tool kit by the way). This is a key thing to learn to tie off the thread on your fly and is simple to do once you get it down---- but trying to learn from written instructions can make your head explode.

Craft stores can be a great place to get materials---- but for someone just starting out the best place to buy materials would be your local fly shop--- if you have one--- Most shops will have fly tying classes this time of year, and they would be great way to get started. But having folks that can show you material and help pick it out, answer your questions and give you pointers is extremely valuable. Ket us know where you are in Illinois-- some folks might be able to recommend some decent shops.

The next best IMHO would be an on-line shop with a 1-800 number that specializes in fly fishing as opposed to a big box store--- the reason is that you can actually ask a person that can advise you as to materials for whatever it is you want to tie--- J Stockard (one of the sponsors of this site and you can link to it through the banner ad), Feather-craft and many others are excellent sources for fly tying materials.

As far as prices go, this can be a bit misleading in that prices for comparable products doesn't vary all that much, whether it's a big on-line retailer or a specialty on-line fly shop, or a bricks and mortar store-- there are exceptions of course and it does pay to shop around a bit--- but just be aware that you may not be comparing apples to apples if you shop on the basis of price for some materials like "feathers" without considering the specific properties you want for different patterns. For example fly tying feathers might range in price from $3.50 for a 1/4 oz of strung feathers from meat birds to $30 for a decent quality dry fly cape, and a lot more for some specific stuff.

But folks here on the forum are a great resource for you too to help you through this--- ask tons of questions as they come up-- and if you want to buy from cabela's or bass pro for convenience, folks here can suggest appropriate materials for whatever you're tying.

Good luck!

mark
Old 12-01-2010, 02:18 PM

For Christmas, I also put on my list "the benchside introduction to fly tying" by Leeson and Schollmeyer. I liked how it had the split pages that reference different types of wraps, etc. That was recommended by a local fly shop. Have any of you used this book before or heard anything about it?
Old 12-01-2010, 03:02 PM

dang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nice

Don't forget the Mechanics of the cast..
If you cant use your rod your worthless with a thousand dollar fly at your tippets end.
"Doug Swisher tactics for selective trout"...
"Gary Borger introduction too entomology"...
and any SA Video..on Fly Fishing
DON'T FORGET ANY TRADE SHOWS lot of education at those things Chicago has a great one, after or at the beginning of the Year
Good luck new guy..
Lots of great water surrounds you..