The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Night fly fishing

Bear,

Great going. What did you get him/her on? And what kind of set up were you using?

You've got some incredible fish down there, and the weather sounds great-- I thought it would be pretty bitter cold down there now at night.

Congrats on the fish, and it's great to hear your family shares in the adventures. Guess you'll be going out tonight too...

Richard,
I totally agree. I fish a lot for striped bass at night here in the NE, and one of my favorites to fish is a Snake Fly-- spun deer hair head, with the rest tied pretty much like a Deceiver. It creates a v wake across the surface. At night all your senses seem to be so heightened, and concentration is so intense that if/when the fly suddenly blows up, or you see a larger push of water coming towards it, it can make you jump out of your skin.

Great stuff!!!

peregrines

peregrines
Old 02-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Peregrines: Thanks for the great tips on night fishing. I've never really fished at night. I've fished until I couldn't see any longer, but never really targeted fish after dark. Definately going to give it a go this summer.

Larry
Old 02-08-2009, 05:02 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Bear,

Great going. What did you get him/her on? And what kind of set up were you using?

You've got some incredible fish down there, and the weather sounds great-- I thought it would be pretty bitter cold down there now at night.

Congrats on the fish, and it's great to hear your family shares in the adventures. Guess you'll be going out tonight too...

Richard,
I totally agree. I fish a lot for striped bass at night here in the NE, and one of my favorites to fish is a Snake Fly-- spun deer hair head, with the rest tied pretty much like a Deceiver. It creates a v wake across the surface. At night all your senses seem to be so heightened, and concentration is so intense that if/when the fly suddenly blows up, or you see a larger push of water coming towards it, it can make you jump out of your skin.

Great stuff!!!

peregrines

peregrines
A Sage 9' 6wt floating line, 6ft 6lb leader not taperd, black wooly in size 4. no weight and put just a little float paste to keep it high, dead drift, he hit on the swing. Thanks, I love that Staci and Joshua like going as much as me. It will turn cold here at night again in a coupel days, just got a nice little spring weather the last couple days, nights are going to cool back off in about 2 days from the weather forcast.
Bear
Old 02-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hey there,

I've fished at night with some success but I would compare it to eating escargot!

I've eaten escargot and may do it again but if there are other items on the menu I'll pass.

Ard
Old 02-12-2009, 01:27 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road

My other senses kicked in, which was unhelpful. It was very dark. I was unsteady on my feet. Something very large swam by me...

Night fishing is not for everyone.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 02-12-2009, 01:45 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I am not a tuff guy but I aint no pansy either, and sometimes when night fishing I get a feeling and chills run down my spin and the hair on the back of neck stand up, that is when I call it a night. A good friend of mine is a pretty tuff guy, 6'8" pushing 290 and strong as hell, he has even got those feelings while night fishing, one night we were fishing a river and heard a noise that he or I had nither one heard before and we have been doing this outdoors thing alot of years, that noise scared the hell out of teh both of us, lol we fished awhile longer then decided to go get something to eat.
Bear
Old 02-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'm with you on the weird noise thing Bear! I've heard things that I don't wanna see while fishing in the pitch black.

I used to do it when I knew there was a large brown around that I couldn't find in daylight. The best way to know is is you fish a small stream that has a great fish population and one of the prettiest pools on the whole darn creek seems to have no fish in it................Duh. Nine times out of ten something big lives there and eats everything else that happens into the pool. I have also seen large brown trout leave the pool via the head or tail riffles at night! When there isn't any thing on the menu in the home pool they travel up or down to find prey.

If you can document a case like this then you either have to go night fishing or hope for the best on the darkest and rainiest days of the year. Hit the place right at the first light on a dark and rainy day and you may do well. I have.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:11 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

We do a lot of fishing at night here on the beaches.
There's a shore bird called a Night Heron that will scare the **** out of you every time
They'll fly silently along until they see something that startles them.... namely you.
Then they let out this loud WAAANK...and they do it right next to you !
You jump right out of your skin every time
Old 02-12-2009, 02:28 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I'll stay on the river at night a hour or so after dark if I'm doing anything . Usually that's about as long as I can take the bats. In the spring when the young of the year bats are flying around they have hit my line, hit my rod, hit my back. & picked up my fly. They will definitely chase me out of the river. An acquaintance was night fishing in Maine last year & he thought he picked up a pile of debris. He hand over handed it in & didn't use his light & when he grabbed it he got bit. It was a bat. He had to go through the Rabies series of shots which I hear are still quite painful even though they don't give them in the stomach any more..
Old 02-12-2009, 03:11 PM

A friend and I were walking across a feild one night and steped into a covey of quail that flushed all around us, scared us so bad that we spent a half an hour picking up fishing gear LOL