The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2009, 01:05 PM

mossback is on a distinguished road
Default newby needing some input

Hi gang, was hoping to get some ideas from some guys in the know..I am a avid saltwater conventional angler,but havent touched fly gear in years, and just had a client of mine give me a couple loomis two piece premier 6&7 weight rods.I am pumped to start practicing again.Are the premiers lower end ,and what brand reels would you guys reccomend.. thanks in advance. nick
Old 02-07-2009, 02:19 PM

FlyfishnakedInc is on a distinguished road
Default Re: newby needing some input

G Loomis premier rods are an older series. in their day they were higher end but with the advent of new materials and technolgies, the stuff today is far superior. Thats not in any way to say they arnt great rods G Loomis doesnt make bad rods in any shape or form so yea it was a good score for sure. Reels will all depend on what you want to do with them so thats a tough call are you planning on light salt or medium salt action or fresh and salt or just fresh water? Ross, Lamson, Okuma, etc. make great reels there are alot of companies out there and again it really depends on what you want to do. some further info would help everyone make better recommendations. anyway hope this helps