The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

View Poll Results: How shoudl I blow $700 on fishing gear?
Orvis Superfine Trout Bum 804-4 Fly Rod (leaves me $125 left for a reel and line) 10 32.26%
Orvis T3 864-4 Freshwater Fly Rod with BLA II Fly Reel (leaves me $25 for line) 3 9.68%
Sage XP 490-4XP with Cabela's Watershed reel and Rio Grand line (leaves me $10 left over for tolls) 2 6.45%
Sage Flight 490-4 with Cabela's Watershed reel and Rio Grand ($200 left over for booze and gambling) 4 12.90%
Sage Launch 490-4 with Cabela's SLA fly reel and Rio Grand ( $390 left over for booze and gambling) 7 22.58%
Sage ZXL 490-4 (leaves me $0 for a reel and line) 6 19.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 12:43 PM

MarcFish is on a distinguished road
Default Taking it to a vote - How to blow $700 on fishing gear

Firstly, let me say thanks for all the responses to my previous post. I have summarized the list of recommendations and am putting my final decision into the hands of the experts on this forum. So, if you were in my situation what would you buy?

To recap:
*I am a beginner - have been fly fishing for only a season and a half
*Mostly trout fish the Beaverkill and Esopus rivers in the NY Catskills
*Am looking for a rod and reel that I can grow into. I'd like for this purchase last me a while.
*Came into $700 in gift certificates that I can use at either Cabelas or Orvis
*Am still debating whether to get a 4wt or 5wt.

Orvis Superfine Trout Bum 804-4 Fly Rod (leaves me $125 left for a reel and line)
Orvis T3 864-4 Freshwater Fly Rod with BLA II Fly Reel (leaves me $25 for line)
Sage XP 490-4XP with Cabela's Watershed reel and Rio Grand line (leaves me $10 left over for tolls)
Sage Flight 490-4 with Cabela's Watershed reel and Rio Grand line (leaves me $200 left over for booze and gambling)
Sage Launch 490-4 with Cabela's SLA fly reel and Rio Grand line ( leaves me $390 for booze and gambling)
Sage ZXL 490-4 (leaves me $0 for a reel and line)
Old 02-10-2009, 12:49 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Taking it to a vote - How to blow $700 on fishing gear

Get the Superfine....
Old 02-10-2009, 12:57 PM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

X2 for the Superfine.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:08 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Man I really like my Sage rods, but I think I would have to go with the super fine on this one, those are sweeeeeeet rods, and with a name like TROUT BUM,,come on, its gotta be a good rod lol
Bear
Old 02-10-2009, 01:15 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road

Is there anything more fun than gambling with other people's money? Please check back with us when you're deciding which girlfriend to marry.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 02-10-2009, 01:24 PM

MarcFish is on a distinguished road

Its already a done deal...getting hitched in Sept. That's why I need to get this purchase in now.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:22 PM

ravensgait is on a distinguished road

Another vote for the Superfine, it is a great rod. Ya might be able to talk a Orvis dealer into adding a BLA reel line and backing for that price. Randy
Old 02-10-2009, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcFish View Post
Its already a done deal...getting hitched in Sept. That's why I need to get this purchase in now.
Nice!

Along those lines, go with the Flight combo and here's your plan for the remaining $: Find a reputable guide who is currently suffering from cabin fever/shacknasties/etc and poor cash flow. Work out a deal where you give him $200 for a $300 gift certificate that expires 9/1/2010. That way if "bride management" is getting the best of ya, you can tell her that you have to fit in this guided trip before it expires.

Win/win for all parties involved.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:40 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Since you already have a 7wt rod, I'd fo with the SuperFine. I'm looking at
one myself!
Old 02-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have the 704-4 Trout Bum and love it. I am wondering about that extra foot however. I DIDN'T Like the 7'11" they us to make. It is just too much for a full flex, specially a 4 weight. The Far and Fine was good at 7' 9" but it is a 5 weight.
If the T3 is a Mid Flex, that too could be an awesome choice.

ORVIS HERE!

Of course for under $100. more you could get the Helios and be way ahead of the game ;-)