The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Your favorite fishin' hole?

No, not looking to spot burn, so don't get too specific about location, or you'll end up with ten million internet buddies standing next to you. But it would be neat to hear about all the different kinds of fishing folks on the board do.

I fish a lot out in Montauk NY, about 120 miles from NYC on the eastern tip of Long Island. (it's not exactly a secret). Here's a short trailer from a movie (Montauk Rocks) being put together by a Montauk regular and excellent fisherman Richard Siberry. It captures the essence of the place pretty well. Most of the fishing footage is of surfcasters using plugs but the FF can be exceptional as well.

Conditions can be tough with big surf, rocks, and crowds. Gear can be a little specialized too, with strap on Korkers, dry tops, stripping baskets, and wet suits for swimming out to rocks (for a casting platform) rels that can operate submerged being pretty common, and the best fishing tends to be at night. Things can get a bit "interesting" at times, but you always know you're alive when the wind is in your face and the salt spray is flying.

Some of the footage is of a mullet run which tends to happen after the first cold snap in Sept, pushing them out of the bays and along the shoreline where the bass are waiting.

YouTube - Montauk Rocks trailer

So let's hear about the fishing you do and the kind of places that float your boat...

peregrines
Old 02-10-2009, 05:38 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: Your favorite fishin' hole?

I have so many good holes here that its hard to pick just one.
The top three would be
The Buffalo River, great smallmouth and sunfish fishing, beautiful scenery, and I mean BEAUTILLLLLL, Tall towering bluffs with sharp drops strait into the river, ferns growing out of cracks, blue/green clear water.
The next is my lake Greers Ferry, crystal clear water(most of teh time) we had soem major flooding last year and have soem algea blooms we normaly dont, but thats a good thing for the fishing, big bluffs, pine trees and hybrid bass blowing up on shad on the surface, with drag screaming runs when ya hook up, smallmouth blowing up on poppers, and big gills and other sunfish.
The third would be the river two miles from my front door, The Little Red, stocked with bows, but also a wild population and a wild population of BIG browns, when they are spawning its not unusall to catch 3-6 in the 5-10 lb range and some over 10, ofcourse when they are spawing I stay out of the reeds and only catch a few then leave them along. The cool thing with this river is ya just never know, I have seen bass,sunfish, walleye, pickerel, and my son cuaght a 2lb crappie last fall, and the world record brown(40lb 6oz) came outa here. The world record hybrid striper and walleye also came out of the lake. Also a few state records came from the river and lake like a pickerel that was over 7lbs.

Thats my list lol
Bear
Old 02-13-2009, 12:17 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You know I can't really tell...........................but,

There's this stretch of trout water on one of the rivers I float every year, now there's lots of trout water but this place is special. There are some truly big Rainbows there. How big? When they are hanging with the Coho Salmon you can't pick out the trout until you see the red stripe on the flank!! I'm talking big!

I often fall asleep thinking about this coming May / June and my next trip in.
I'll post a photo this year.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:12 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Each spring for the past 14 years my buddy and I have spent a week, and sometimes two, fishing outer Cape Cod.
Surf, flats, estuaries, and inlets. Both wading and from the kayaks.
Every waking hour we're out fishing one of dozens of different locations, each one dependent on the different wind direction and the tides
A lot of fisherman out that way only know of the fly fishing on the famous Monomoy flats (which ain't what it use to be), but for me there's nothing as exciting and challenging as fly fishing the heavy surf of the outer beaches. The crashing waves call for precisely timed casts and thoughtful line management. The reward for doing it well is fish as long as your leg
What's not to like about that.
I'm not one to spend any time at the Cape during the summer, but fortunately 'fishing season' brackets both sides of 'tourist season' perfectly.... And it's a beautiful place to be.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:26 AM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

My fishing spot is not one place, but rather a whole area included in a provincial wildlife reserve. It includes 2 major streams, dozens of smaller creeks and lakes in the hundreds with brookies in most of them. I spend about 80% of my fishing time exploring. It's a great canoeing place also with abundant wildlife(moose,deer, wolves,even a wolverine or two).
Old 02-13-2009, 09:44 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

A small stream in Pa where my son landed his first stream-caught rainbow. I can't remember the name.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Your favorite fishing' hole?

Hi to all,
I don't have just one favorite water. My favorite spots are those that have meant something to me. So here is my list.

1. The Kings River where I caught my first big fish. I recently told that story.

2. The high Sierra's and the John Muire trail. This is where I caught my first Golden Trout. This area has some breathtaking views and beautiful little lakes.

3. Alaska and its Rainbows and Grayling. Special water every where.

4. The lower Green River in Wyoming. I never catch a bunch of fish but there are some big Rainbows. You can have the water to your self and it is perfect water for a pontoon. It is water that is safe for a 70+ fisher to spend a day fishing and dreaming of days past.

5. The San Juan in New Mexico. I dislike the river because of the crowds but my fishing partner and I began our season there for many years. There is no better fishing spot than one you share with a best friend or loved one.

6. The Colorado River at Lee's Ferry. Not because of the good fishing but for the grand view of the water in the canyon. This is a unique spot and one of the prettiest rivers I have ever fished.

Frank
Old 02-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Big fan of

The bays around Port Aransas, TX

The Medina River above the lake up to its source

The Guadalupe near the home of "Steak Nite"

The Pedernales in the State Park

And the Blanco in Wimberley (good luck with parking though)

Haven't yet tried this spot 20 min from the house, but it looks very lovable:

Click the image to open in full size.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:01 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Favorite spot

I'll start it off. How about posting a photo of your favorite fishing locations

This is a night shot of the estuary from the cabin in Me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cabin view.jpg (114.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 02-14-2009, 04:56 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Favorite spot

This is me at Cape Henlopen De. this is where the Delaware bay meets the Atlantic ocean. This is not the best fishing hole in the world but it has it rewards if you pay your dues, and it's my home waters. If you look close you can see the Cape Henlopen Lighthouse in the background
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 098.jpg (15.7 KB, 21 views)