The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 02:38 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice
Default The way trout think

I recently attended a FF expo in Bellevue, WA while I was here on vacation and attended a seminar with the above title. I learned something interesting that I thought I would share.

Trout's thought processes prioritize in the following order when eating:
1. Movement (ie: dead drift, swimming, injured, shooting to the top, etc.)
2. Size
3. Shape
4. Color

The thing that I thought was interesting was that it is much more important to try and match the size of the fly if there is a hatch going on than match the color.

It was a very interesting seminar.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The way trout think

Dorian-

Great stuff. You might also put shade ahead of color-- thinking light medium and dark-- as long you can get close in size.

Putting this together with your other thread about changing flies, and adding water depth to the equation, I think you can build a case for changing flies-- as long as you go to flies with different jobs in terms of covering the water column from top to bottom.

And you may be interested in this series of articles on reading water. Assuming you're not seeing any signs of fish or feeding, you can spend a lot of time changing flies and fishing unproductive water, or as I do all too often, standing where I should be fishing in the productive stretches. There's a pretty good four part series here:

Killroys Fly Tying Articles and Essays

good luck,
peregrines
Old 02-11-2009, 06:43 PM

Teamanglerx will become famous soon enough

My folks recently moved to Bellevue and I am looking for a good time to visit (and fish!). Is the conference you attended a yearly offering?
Old 02-11-2009, 08:04 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

I beleive in the color thing.

My dad is a die hard tackle fisherman, i tend to have moved away from the way my family fishes, and about three years ago he hooked into a twelve pound walleye in a little river that barely supports 12 inchers. Its his fish of a lifetime and he caught it on a blue jig and evedently walleye can only see the outline of blue lures. thats all he uses now and he always catches fish so i beleive that colore makes a huge difference in the amount of fish you catch.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com