The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 01:40 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice
Default How often do you change flies?

When fishing, how often do you change flies if nothing is working. I think I tend to stick to the same fly for way to long and just think that my presentation is wrong, or I am reading the river wrong. I am very interested to get some responses from all of you on this.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:55 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How often do you change flies?

Presentation is the most critical thing, so you're correct in making sure that that's on the mark. But, how long is too long?! I usually try to make an 'educated guess' on the water if nothing is really happening; maybe soft hackles first or in mid summer a terrestrial. If nothing happens over about a half hour time period, I'll reevaluate things (maybe check the water temp) and try something else. Of course, if there's an actual hatch going on and the fish keep ignoring my offering, I'll change flies quicker .......you know.....you hit that panicky mode where you think the hatch will end and you won't catch one darn fish! I run into that more often on heavy caddis hatches than about any other time.

But, it's all of what makes fly fishing so darn interesting ...and fun!
Old 02-11-2009, 02:08 PM

eaglesfn68 is on a distinguished road

what a good topic. Its not only about changing your flies but changing your cast, approach and other things. If a fly isnt working it might not be the fly. you can pick the perfect fly and not catch fish. Check your depth, if the fish cant see the fly they cant take it. I add and take away weight all the time. Sometimes its the leader and tippet. Is your leader to long, to short, not thin enough or to thick. Also your cast. Try some different casts. If im not getting down to the right depth you might not have to add or take away weight. you can use a tuck cast or a thinner tippet or leader( they sink faster. ) I would even try using flurocarbon. If all of this doesnt work then i would think of changing my fly. usually i change flies every 20 minutes or so if they arent working.

you can even try using a dual rig so you dont have to change so much.

also check the spot your fishing. you could everything perfect but the spot your fishing just doesnt have fish.

There are so many different things to talk about i could write a book but the main thing to remember is sometimes its not the fly.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Dorian, good to see you around.

What type of flies are you using? if they are flies that usually work this time of year I would think your either not getting into the "ZONE" or your fishing water that the fish may not be in this time of year. Perhaps they have moved to deeper water?

Maybe try adjusting your weight so you can get right on the bottom, going to a lighter tippet, and possibly go to smaller sized flies....or a combination of all three things.

I think it's a good thing that your not changing flies "To often", I'm sure you have go-to flies that you have a lot of confidence in, so giving them a chance to work is a must, maybe just tweak your presentation as I mentioned above.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-11-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenwood View Post
Presentation is the most critical thing, so you're correct in making sure that that's on the mark. But, how long is too long?! I usually try to make an 'educated guess' on the water if nothing is really happening; maybe soft hackles first or in mid summer a terrestrial. If nothing happens over about a half hour time period, I'll reevaluate things (maybe check the water temp) and try something else. Of course, if there's an actual hatch going on and the fish keep ignoring my offering, I'll change flies quicker .......you know.....you hit that panicky mode where you think the hatch will end and you won't catch one darn fish! I run into that more often on heavy caddis hatches than about any other time.

But, it's all of what makes fly fishing so darn interesting ...and fun!

i agree with everything you said but even if fish are taking off the surface that doesnt mean you should use a dry fly. In a situation were you see fish rising and the fish just arent taking your dry i like to switch to a knot emerger. These things are awesome. you dress the knot with floatant so the fly sits right in the film of the water and represents a nymph thats stuck in its shuck. If nothing else works these things are killer.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:12 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Hello Dorian, good to see you around.

What type of flies are you using? if they are flies that usually work this time of year I would think your either not getting into the "ZONE" or your fishing water that the fish may not be in this time of year. Perhaps they have moved to deeper water?

Maybe try adjusting your weight so you can get right on the bottom, going to a lighter tippet, and possibly go to smaller sized flies....or a combination of all three things.

I think it's a good thing that your not changing flies "To often", I'm sure you have go-to flies that you have a lot of confidence in, so giving them a chance to work is a must, maybe just tweak your presentation as I mentioned above.

Fysh, I wish I was using any type of flies. I haven't got a line wet since October! Good comments from everyone though, lots of good info. I know many things affect the way we fish, but mostly I was wondering specifically about changing the fly.....all other things being equal.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:12 PM

yeah, please give us a little more information on were your fishing, when your fishing, what your fishing for and what your using so we can help you out more.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorian.ducker View Post
Fysh, I wish I was using any type of flies. I haven't got a line wet since October! Good comments from everyone though, lots of good info. I know many things affect the way we fish, but mostly I was wondering specifically about changing the fly.....all other things being equal.
Dorian,
You gotta get out more. You could have the big river all to your self right now.

It will be nice to finally meet you on the Green River in April.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-12-2009, 08:15 AM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

Hi Eaglesfn68;
You're absolutely right. In the caddis hatch I was referring to, I was picking a few fish under the surface with emerger style wets and standard haresear and partridge soft hackles. But, nothing like I should have.

My friend, being equally frustrated, put on a big ole' oversized stimulater. And guess what?! That made 'em happy. The fish went so far as to leap out of the water to grab it before it hit the surface. I guess with the millions of caddis out and about, they just wanted to see something real different.

Other threads on here have verified that finding as well. BUT, I think that only really applies to those crazy blizzard hatches.

Yes, I changed to a LOT of different flies that day!
Old 02-12-2009, 11:08 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I won't repeat the good advice already given & I agree with it, but I would add that you have to move also . Some flys work better in riffles & some better in pools....... If your sight fishing & bouncing a nymph on the trout's nose & it just moves out of the way or ignores the offering it's time to change flies. If your fishing blind or just casting to likely spots I would keep it on longer & work on my presentaion first before changing my fly. That said if your fishing dry & casting to a rising fish & it ignores your fly try sinking it & work on the presentation. If you don't spook the fish & it continues to rise I would go one size smaller, assuming your fishing a fly close to the emerging insect.