The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 01:38 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road
Default Changing your whole rig

It's no big deal to change your fly, but changing your whole rig is an on-stream time commitment. Let's say you're nymphing and you see caddises beginning to appear. Or perhaps a Trico hatch. Your leader has a strike indicator and a weight, you want to go to 6X for the Trico, so you change your leader. Oops. The sun comes out, the temperature drops, and it's back to the nymph rig.

What are some short cuts or on-stream strategies to make this faster and easier? Let's assume there's wind, current and sun in your eyes just to keep it real.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 02-12-2009, 01:48 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: Changing your whole rig

I usally dont use weight while nymphing and my strike ind. are quick change ones, so if that happens I just clip my line take the float off and add a 12" section of lighter tippet for teh dry fly, then when thats over I cut the tippet and dry off , slide my float back on and the nymph.
Bear
Old 02-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Last summer I got up at 4 am to get over to the lake and launch the boat before first light. I rigged my pole in the light of the truck cab, planning to fish streamers. I didn't take the time to rig my second pole, didn't even put it in the boat. Once it got light enough I shoved off and rowed over to a section of the lake that has overhanging bushes. As I got anchored up and started fishing I noticed that the fish were sipping something off the surface. It wasn't light enough to see what it was they were taking, but I sure was kicking myself for not having my backup pole with me, so I know your pain. The surface action only lasted 10-15 minutes.

I usually like to have two poles in the boat just for that reason.

Larry
Old 02-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I know it's not the answer you want, but I agree with Larry and carry 2 rods, one rigged for dries and one for streamers or nymphing.

When it comes to changing over, I'm horribly slow. lol

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

Two rods works for you drift boaters but is not a good deal for someone wading a stream. Here are a couple of ideas that I use.

1. I usually have a 9' knotless leader. I cut off the tippet leaving just enough of the tippet to tie a Perfection Loop in the end of the leader. If you use a removable indicator like the thingamabob you can add it or remove it at will.

2. So setting up for nymphs. Add the indicator. Add a 18" to 24" piece of tippet. Connect the tippet with a loop to loop connection. Add a nymph or indicator fly and a dropper. Use the loop on the tippet to hold any split shot. The knot on the tippet loop will keep the shot from sliding down the leader.

3. To go back to a dry fly setup. Remove the tippet with split shot, and flies by cutting the loop knot in the tippet. Role up the tippet and store it in a leader wallet. This doesn't work well If you are using a dry fly for a indicator. The leader wallet will crush the dry fly. With a nymph setup you can reuse the rolled up leader and nymphs just by tying another loop in the the nymph tippet and re-attaching to the leader. Back to your dry fly setup. After removing the nymph tippet and any indicator, add another tippet with a loop to loop connection and add your dry fly.

So what I am doing is using the same leader for dry fly and nymph fishing by just adding or removing the indicator and the tippet. You could also use one of the Saltwater leader holders instead of the leader wallet. Your dry fly won't get messed up using one of these. The Cabela's Snell Holder might be used by drift boat fishers. I have not used the Snell Holder but it seems like it would do a good job with a little experimenting. I would want to see it before I bought one.

Frank

Leader Wallet
Click the image to open in full size.

Cabela's Snell Holder
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:32 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I don't think it's possible to change out a rig - particularly a tandem rig - quicker than with the combination of a Scientific Anglers L2L Reconnect leader set-up and an Orvis Dropper Rig Fly Box. You simply untwist the L2L, wrap it around one of the Orvis Dropper Rig fly box "sticks" (similar to Cabela's which Frank showed), then select another L2L Reconnect leader you've pre-rigged ahead of time. That's it. Takes maybe a minute.
Attachment 1711 Attachment 1712 Attachment 1713
Old 02-13-2009, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Fly2Fish,

Thanks for posting the Orvis Dropper Rig. I couldn't remember who sold those so I posted the Cabela's. I think the Orvis is a better choice although I have not seen either one.

Frank
Old 02-13-2009, 10:31 AM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road

Thank you, Frank, and everyone else. This is such a great web site for seeking just this type of advice. I used to get it by hanging out at the local fly shop, but the restraining order ended all that.

When practical, I do rig a 5 wt. for dries and a 6 wt. for nymphs or streamers. But usually I'm on foot so a spare hand is useful. Also, these are premium rods and I'm reluctant to leave them out of sight. I'll try Frank's system in the spring.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley