The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 09:24 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Keeping A Log Book?

in our techno age, ive been doing a digital pic archive. i will, and would prefer to get a nice journal to scribe my outings.

ARFE
Old 04-24-2011, 10:25 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Back in the salt I always kept a log of my boat activities, certain landmarks that would line me up with good bottom, hot bait, species caught, tide, moon, wind, you name it. Last year I started to keep a log of my steelhead outings to get into more of a pattern or to figure out the pattern. Water temps, flows, flies used, grabs etc etc. It'll take another season to really get more useful data in there as this season hasn't been the best....so far anyway.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Casey,

Nothing beats looking back on all those misspelled words I have inked in over the years I will take some pictures of my books and stick them on here. I have some really nice custom bound leather ones. An old friend who was into leather work helped me design the first back in 1979. I treasure that one because Charlie died at the age of 45. Having the journal is like seeing my old pal every time I handle it.

Bill,

If you keep a book on your steelhead fishing you will be glad you did in another 20 years

Here are some;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

The pen loops hold the book shut and that;s an old Hallmark made from walnut, nice pen.

If you take the time you will write the story of your life

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 04-25-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:07 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

yes sir, it is timeless. i think its time for old school. thanks man!

casey

ARFE
Old 04-25-2011, 12:59 AM

flying has a spectacular aura aboutflying has a spectacular aura aboutflying has a spectacular aura about

Heres a great online fishing journal.
My Daily Fishing Log

To do it right you still need to keep a written journal with you while fishing then input the data online. Once online you can search back through your trips by location,species,moon phase,ect. You can also save your pictures from each trip plus its nice to be able to check your log from work.

I only did it for a year back in 2009 but it got to be too much work for me.

I'm strictly a lake tuber bugger tugger for bass. I use GPS so I save all my trips and view them on Google Earth. I also record data like miles,hours,water temp,lake level and fish caught by species on a spread sheet. From this I get yearly totals,trip averages,miles per fish,hours per fish. I buy a yearly state park pass so I also calculate my average trip cost to see how much money I save every year.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:51 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I've been keeping bird huntng and fishing log books since about 1980 (Too lazy to walk over and look it up on the shelf). Long term, they are great for bringing back memories - and in the case of bird hunting - lament the declining opportunity to hunt from both a habitat and time standpoint. Also great for "visiting" bird dogs that have gone to their reward.

Short term, they are great for guys like me that can't remember yesterday. I always make sure to list items I forgot (especially true for week-long treks out of town) or had in short supply, what flies worked in what sizes, weather, etc. I did look up my trip to Maine last June, where I lamented bring clothes for the week more appropriate to the Bahamas than for landlocked fishing in late spring up there! Won't happen again 'cause I read my log!

Oh, and I use (these days) a nice blank book made by Mead. I have used spiral bound and looseleaf notebooks, as well as a custom-made hunting/fishing logbook that is nice and pretentious. LOL, I guess I like the one I'm using now the best.
Gary
Old 04-25-2011, 03:10 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Now that my kids are getting old enough to have interest in fly fishing I have started keeping a log book so they have some info on the local waters on what works and when. One more learning tool never hurts.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:59 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I'm sort of an anal type and have kept fishing records (time,weather,hatch,catch,etc) for years (since the seventies) do you?

I also keep what is known as a life list where you simply record any new species of critter you encounter in the form of an entry to the list. These two practices will help you to know what to expect on any given day when revisiting a river or creek.
Every year since I started trout fishing, I more and more come to see the importance of the practice. Regretably I have yet to start! Perhaps this is the year...

I have written in my bird book the dates and times etc. that I see a new species for the first time. Last year there were three more checked off of the list; Scarlet Tanager, Rose Breasted Grosbeak, and Perregrine Falcon. Maybe more, but Ill have to check.

I don't keep a critter list on paper, but I have a keen memory on these things. June 2007 was a porcupine, july 2009 was moose, grizzly, wolf, caribou, cutthroat trout...some more yellowstone things. June 2001 was the first black bear I had ever seen in Maine. driving Route 11 up towards Presque Isle.

May 2004, California Condor...
Old 04-25-2011, 11:07 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Casey,

Nothing beats looking back on all those misspelled words I have inked in over the years I will take some pictures of my books and stick them on here. I have some really nice custom bound leather ones. An old friend who was into leather work helped me design the first back in 1979. I treasure that one because Charlie died at the age of 45. Having the journal is like seeing my old pal every time I handle it.
Here are some;

The pen loops hold the book shut and that;s an old Hallmark made from walnut, nice pen.

If you take the time you will write the story of your life

Ard: What a great way to honor and remember the great times you had with Charlie!

I also keep a log book, probably not as detailed as yours, but I like to look back and see what patterns I used the last time I visited a particular stream and what the flow was like and other conditions.

Larry

Old 04-26-2011, 12:29 AM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

I've done so off and on, alas mostly off but years of diving and keeping a log there and my feeble attempts at keeping one for fly fishing taught me that the log should be waterproof somewhat. I found the best choice a few years back in the form of a Surveyor's, or Geologist's log found at many College book stores and other places that cater to professions of the outdoors. It's a small leger format with lined on one side for notes and 1/4 squares on the other for graphs/maps, etc.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/