The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Keeping A Log Book?

I'm sort of an anal type and have kept fishing records (time,weather,hatch,catch,etc) for years (since the seventies) do you?

I also keep what is known as a life list where you simply record any new species of critter you encounter in the form of an entry to the list. These two practices will help you to know what to expect on any given day when revisiting a river or creek.

[Edit]This is copied from page 2 but will do better on the original post I think, these are some of my books.

Casey,

Nothing beats looking back on all those misspelled words I have inked in over the years I will take some pictures of my books and stick them on here. I have some really nice custom bound leather ones. An old friend who was into leather work helped me design the first back in 1979. I treasure that one because Charlie died at the age of 45. Having the journal is like seeing my old pal every time I handle it.

Bill,

If you keep a book on your steelhead fishing you will be glad you did in another 20 years

Here are some;

Click the image to open in full size.

The pen loops hold the book shut and that;s an old Hallmark made from walnut, nice pen.

If you take the time you will write the story of your life

noreaster likes this.

Last edited by Hardyreels; 04-24-2014 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:48 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Keeping A Log Book?

I used to keep a journal but it kind of just fell by the wayside. I try to take a picture & that kind of jogs the memories..Years ago Me & a few guys in my TU chapter were writing a local Hatch Chart & where to fish & what to use in NJ. I had 1000 postcards printed up & gave them out to chapter members & got about 300 back. They were pretty basic questions such as where ,what, & when along with conditions, water clarity. Wildlife observed ( insects primarily) , bait / lure / fly used. # of fish caught, Type & size. I got a pretty good database out of it..
Old 02-12-2009, 02:58 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

TU used to send a free calendar (do the still do that?)
I would fill in the squares on the days I went out with a few notes
Where I fished, plus the weather and any hatches observed mostly
Haven't done it in a few years
Old 02-12-2009, 03:26 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I am a log book kinda guy myself. I keep one for each of the diffrent lakes and rivers I fish more then a couple times a year. I have one for the Little Red river, the Buffalo River, Greers Ferry lake and Barnnette lkae, and will start one this year for Lake Dardeneil. Fishing tournaments and being a guide I find it helps greatly when I really NEED to put fish in the boat. The only draw back is that while its a great thing to do and does help most of the time there are times when everything I have wrote dosent to me a bit of good. Liek my lake is a great striper lake in the fall when they school in open water and bust shad on top, this year the lake was so messed up they didnt do this but a few times, G.F. Is a deep lake that usally has 10-20' visablity, last year it was almost 30' above normale pool most of the year and the nutriants it put in the water cuased algea blooms and diffrent things that made this past year not the normal fishing year. Something else I keep in my log book is the moon phase, I never belived in that alot untill the last few years and now I think it does make a diffrence.
Bear
Old 02-12-2009, 03:55 PM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough

I have always thought about doing that, but have not really had enough time to really put that idea into practice. College life is a pain in the butt to have to schedule all your fun around classes and such. Who came up with the classes part of college, really? I always thought it should just be fun and games, not tests and lectures. haha.
Wish I had the time to actually look at the time and temperature and stuff to be able to write all the stuff down. Most of my fishing is done at the drop of a hat... Could be the reason why I don't catch a ton of stuff... lol
HookEmHorns
Old 02-12-2009, 04:51 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

I keep a log book to but in montana they have a log program where you record the species of fish caught, lengths, what you fished for and how many you caught. At the end of the year you turn it in and they send a record about it and also some graph that say the number of fish that year and the catch rates its kinda neat.

Do any other states do this program?

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 02-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I've tried to off and on for years and never became very dedicated to the practice, but this past season with my wifes help we started to make a conscious effort to put our findings and experiences to paper.

Along with the usual things to track we also add anything that happens or animals seen. I was looking through the book a while back and was amazed at the memories that were brought back that may have been forgotten without something to jog the old memory bank.

Great post Ard.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 06-26-2010, 07:05 AM

jbiggs is on a distinguished road

I totally agree with what you are saying. It's so nice to hear it from some others. I have been a ambassador for anglers diaries for quite a while now. I always keep a log of all the catches i make. It's just such a great way to recognize patterns. The more I fish and the more success i have the more i learn. Of cause no one is going to remember all the details of each and every catch. That's why keeping a logbook or anglers diary is so important, to learn from your own successes. I usually draw my own up, but am finding it harder and harder to keep it organised So I've been looking around at a few other options. Think i might go digital. I see there are a one or two for the iphone. But in the end doesn't matter how you keep a record, just keep one!
Old 04-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
I've tried to off and on for years and never became very dedicated to the practice, but this past season with my wifes help we started to make a conscious effort to put our findings and experiences to paper.

Along with the usual things to track we also add anything that happens or animals seen. I was looking through the book a while back and was amazed at the memories that were brought back that may have been forgotten without something to jog the old memory bank.

Great post Ard.
Fysh,

Still keeping some notes? A couple posts here hit home for me. I started using standard Ledger Books for keeping my records in back in the 90's. Plenty of room and they sell for about 11.99. One book lasts about 7 - 10 years easily. Remember, when you get old you will be able to look up your fishing from 1999 Actually it's pretty cool to look back on your own history and find your words written by your own hand.

Anyway I was just saying...........

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-24-2011, 09:17 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I have got to make myself start keeping a log book. I have a friend who kept one not only of his sporting activities but also he would record family stories as he remembered them. Late in life he made the log into a book to preserve family stories before they were lost to the coming generations.

Dave