The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 08:30 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: Finding A Big Brown Trout

We have some very large browns in small tributaries here, and I'm always amazed when they appear suddenly from nowhere! They are camo masters and often hide in plain sight. They do not "always" live in the pools because everybody will fish a pool, and fish like a little peace and quiet too.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Bigfly,

Quite true, I brought this thread back to the board because a member is asking how to find / catch bigger fish.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-18-2009, 05:21 PM

troutbum17 is on a distinguished road

i dont think i have much say in this matter considerig my biggest brown is about 13 inches, and im looking to improve that. ive caught 17 inch cuts and a coupla mid teeners bows. When targetig these guys with streamers, say a minnow pattern, how critical is depth? if the pool is 10' deep what depth with the fish typically hold and secondly how do you get that fly down to that depth, dead drift or strip? theres this big old trout ive been trying to catch for hours(unfortunaly ive only been able to fish daytime hours recently) and all he does is sit there and laugh at me as i catch absolutly nothing. How can i get this guy on my hook and in my net?
tom
Old 10-20-2009, 08:48 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

When I was living in Colorado, I started fishing for big browns in the Eagle River across the road from my shop and through some pasture. I used only one fly, a bomber the size of my thumb with white calf tail wings. The same fly I used to use for atlantic salmon up in Gaspe Peninsula.

My buddy Doug heard that I was catching browns over 20" nightly and came with me one night. He refused my advice to shorten his tapered leader by half and tie on a bomber. I think he thought I was jiiving him about both. After I had landed the biggest brown he'd seen out there, and saw the bomber in it's mouth he changed his mind about the fly and got one from me, but refused to shorten his leader.

It was probably midnight and we could see nothing except by the distant headlights of cars on the interstate. I knew this hole contained at least one enormous fish because I had heard it nearly every night I fished there. That is why I was there every night. Casting to the sounds of big fish.

We spied a beaver as it came swimming by, and I said "Doug, throw into his wake, they'll be a nice fish following it slurping up everything he kicks up out of the weeds".

So he makes a cast, and is hooked up almost immediately.

At this time, the resident population of Vail consisted of about 4,000 construction guys like us and 18 women. So I look over at Doug and can just make out from the dim interstate light that he's standing there lacksidasically with one hand on his hip and his rod bent to near breaking and he says " Haw haw haw. I finally got me a beaver out here."

I whip out my flashlight while telling him I don't think its a beaver, and get the light onto the water just in time to see the biggest tail come out of the water that I had (and have) ever seen on a freshwater fish. That one good look and SNAP! as his tippet broke. He tromped around thrashing and swearing non stop all the way back to my truck.

The following week, to rub salt in his wound, the "Vail Trail" had a huge picture of a guy with a salt water spinning reel holding a brown that weighed either 13 lbs 14 oz or 14-14, I can't remember. He caught it fishing that same pool with a big rapalla, and, like an idiot, told the paper where.

So there are two morals to this story. One is to never hook a gift beaver in the mouth. And the other is that, unless your fishing partner is one of your kids, never suggest casting to a gift beaver - do it yourself!

Cheers,
Jim
Old 10-20-2009, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

That was good Jim, I used to fish greased muddlers at night.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Thought this would help with the question about predatory brown trout
Old 02-25-2010, 08:03 PM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Ard cant believe I ve missed this one for a year

In the selwyn (from coes ford and below) there are fish bigger than 20lb Easly. Ive seen one that looked like a small dolphin followed a few times but not stupid enough to take.A few guys have caught 17-19lbs at night and a few 10-16lbs daytime they dont have there own pool tho the trout tend to school in the best spots where fishermen cant cast to them and the perch wont be found anywhere near the big fish the selwyn can be some of the hardest fishing because of a huge amount of angling presure day and night on the selwyn I have seen huge pools seemingly with nothing in them might need to try thease at night.

In the smallest creek, Hearts creek I fish about 6' wide with the odd big pool there is normaly a monster brown there and your best chance is at night and early in the season they stop taking big wets after january Im yet to try a mouse there

In the Lii river there is up to about 17lb fish and anything over 5lb hides in daylight I have caught my biggest fish here on a mouse In a deep pool where there has not been another fish seen in 2 years of fishing this river I know of 3 other pools like this one that I have seen big ones in with a spot light a night.

Ive posted pics of the selwyn and I intend on posting some of the L2 and Hearts creek.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisinselwynNZ; 02-26-2010 at 05:02 AM. Reason: add content and fix stuffups
Old 03-04-2010, 05:05 PM

kingfish87 is on a distinguished road

Fabulous thread !! a newbie here, but this thread alone convinces me this site is the best. These stories does get one thinking: I know a big, deep quiet pool on a bend in an otherwise pretty swift mid-size river here in Colordo...I just might have to go back next summer at night, maybe on a full moon, and cast a big streamer or froggy... I'd be thrilled to hook into a 15" Brown!, which would be a "Big Brown" for me
Old 03-04-2010, 10:04 PM

slabster is on a distinguished road

some of my best browns have been caught solo fishing at night. need to start going with other for pictures and for protection (fishing in the middle of no where at night in wild ass montana is not that safe)

Thinking about going and fishing some sloughs tomorrow night with a buddy. we have had incredibly nice weather the past week and the fish are on the prowl. Do big bows also hunt at night?
Old 03-04-2010, 11:04 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Slimfast,

I wouldn't pass up a good pool at night without a bomber on my rod. Small field mice are all over the place out there: I've even had the little buggers crawl into my sleeping bag with me when elk hunting.

The big browns never seemed to get really active for probably 2 hours after complete darkness. The small fish would shut off just after dusk, then nothing would happen for quite a while, then the big ones would come out.

I don't think they were very active on the full moon, but I can't really remember. I do remember casting to the sounds of boils not the sight of them. Even then, I started where I thought I would be short and worked long when casting.

Although I was literally "blind casting" I would stand and wait for a long time listening for fish rather than just start throwing randomly. I also rigged up well before getting to the river, and used no lights till I had a fish up to the bank. The place I fished was a cow pasture (in those days) with thick wet topsoil that would jiggled a little if you tromped around on it, so I walked very softly.

An old guy in Maine that my dad and I rabbit hunted with 3 days a week took me fishing a few times in little brooks and taught me about walking and stealth. I had never fished north of Daytona beach before. He used a 20 foot telescoping fiberglass pole with 4 feet of mono tied to the end. He'd stick an angle worm (not a night crawler) on the hook, stretch the line back tight, stick the worm to the top side of the rod with a little spit, and thread it through the alders till it was over the water.

Then he'd rotate the rod 180 degrees so the worm was now on the bottom side of the rod, tap the butt and the worm would fall in the water. That guy caught fish that no one else could even get to in deep narrow brooks running through alders in swampy areas. He'd start sneaking up thirty yards away from the alders.

So I try to walk softly, always, and am always amazed why guys clomp and thud along the bank then talk in a whisper after they've driven all the feeding fish back into the undercuts.

Anyhow, I think you really ought to give a bomber a try a number of times. In slow moving water, you'd be surprised how much you can hear just standing there quietly. And if you get one, he'll likely be a good one.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Jim

---------- Post added at 12:04 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:53 PM ----------

Chris,

That looks like a 32" fish in your avatar. How come I don't see a fly line out there?

Cheers,
Jim