The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Finding A Big Brown Trout

Hey all you trout chasers,

My subject regards finding large brown trout, I'm talking two foot models in small to average sized creeks. I learned this lesson over my lifetime of searching for big fish.

{Finding a big fish} Everybody thinks that their favorite creek is harboring a monster brown. The best way to know is if you fish a small stream that has a great fish population and one of the prettiest pools on the whole darn creek seems to have no fish in it................Duh. Nine times out of ten something big lives there and eats everything else that happens into the pool. I have seen large brown trout leave pools via the head or tail riffles at night! Please bear in mind that I'm speaking about fish the size of salmon that create a disturbance when they exit through the shallow water at the head or tail of a pool.

When there isn't any thing on the menu in the home pool they will travel up or down to find prey. If you can document a case like this then you either have to go night fishing or hope for the best on the darkest and rainiest days of the year. Hit the place right at the first light on a dark and rainy day and you may do well. If you work it at night fish the head of the pool that's where he will go to look for incoming goodies. Resist the urge to fish the whole pool because the fish you are after is Big, Old, and Smart, in all likelihood you'll spook it and never know you did it. Patience is your key to success.

If you have ever experienced the conditions or occurrences I am describing in this thread tell me about it please. If you never thought about the empty pool condition I mention perhaps you should give the situation some consideration.

I hope that some of my observations will help you to be more successful in your fishing.

Ard
Old 02-12-2009, 03:11 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding A Big Brown Trout

Quote:
The best way to know is if you fish a small stream that has a great fish population and one of the prettiest pools on the whole darn creek seems to have no fish in it................Duh. Nine times out of ten something big lives there and eats everything else that happens into the pool. brown trout leave
Very true Ard
And the best to find that fish is to learn how to spot fish in the water.
It's not easy and it takes much practice
There's a great deal of time spent looking... and almost none fishing.
More self discipline that I can usually muster.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Good info Ard. Can you say 'Food Chain'?
They don't get to be that big being foolish do they......

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 02-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know a place like I'm talking about?
Old 02-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Can't say that I do.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 02-12-2009, 07:14 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hey all you trout chasers,

If you have ever experienced the conditions or occurrences I am describing in this thread tell me about it please. If you never thought about the empty pool condition I mention perhaps you should give the situation some consideration.

I hope that some of my observations will help you to be more successful in your fishing.

Ard
Absolutely have but never gave it any thought until you posted your thread. To this day the biggest Brown that I've seen landed was taken from a creek that I could jump across and it was the only fish caught from that 1/2 mile section of creek. It was so small it didn't have a name. It was just the head waters above Honeywell Ranch and the East Walker River outside Bridgeport if anyone knows the area.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Administrator

That is what I'm talking about Jimmie,

I first encountered this phenomena in 1973 on a small stream in Pennsylvania. The stream had never received stocking by the state but non the less there were a few very large brown trout living in this predominately Brook Trout water. I had never caught a brown trout there until a rainy day in June 1973 on that day I caught a twenty five inch 7.5 pound brown trout in a pool that I had fished unsuccessfully many times for two years.

The pool was so perfect that I always made a few careful casts there even though I had never even caught a small brookie in the pool. As you might expect I began fishing on dark rainy days and caught several more large browns from that stream but none that I landed was over twenty five inch. I still to this day here in Alaska fish on rainy days and do very well on the big guys.

Ard
Old 02-12-2009, 09:59 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

This sounds very much like the fishing on the Letort Ed Shenk wrote about. A huge brown he watched swim out of her (it turned out to be a female when he finally caught it) pool at night to feed. He could see the fish's back as she swam through the riffles to feed, usually at dusk. He wrote about observing this particular brown in the day time but, never doing anything but sending her into cover. The fish was around 28", if I remember correctly.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread Ard, and great tips.

Largest so far was a 28" brown on a sinktip, ripping a big size 4 black marabou muddler through a hole.

Many of the big browns are fish eaters so it makes sense to go at them with streamers if you're targeting them.

A couple things I'd add are:

Fishing at night can really up your odds. A lot of the big browns are probably nocturnal anyway, but some of the meatiest hatches, at least around here, happen at night. Eastern Green Drake spinner falls, and large stoneflies hit the water well after dark in June on many waters, and I imagine that's true of some of the midwest hex hatches as well.

The best lies are taken by the dominant fish, and if you catch a good fish in a particular spot, chances are there will be a good fish there the next time you go back, even if it's a different fish. And it should also help you target other potential spots that seem to have the same characteristics.

October is a great time to target big browns as they tend to be moving out of lakes to spawn.

Sometimes you'll find big browns in some of the gnarliest places. Years ago I made a couple of trips out to Colorado on business and managed to fish a bit for one big brown that lived on the outside edge of a bend under a bank near a huge deadfall. I saw a flash, and cast a western green drake dry--- he rose to it, he stopped short and he drifted back with it, inches from the fly. I tried a few more times with an emerger, and finally put him down. Came back 3 weeks later, same spot, same fish, same deal, rise to the fly, drifting back with it. Never got him, never got him to take. It's been 10+ years and it's still "my" most memorable fish.

peregrines
Old 02-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Administrator

Good augmenting points Peregrines, and that big fish in Colorado, I think I caught it on a Whitlock Sculpin after dark one night! Slapped it down hard and saw the bulge coming in the twilight, he smacked it like it had done something wrong.

Ard