The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2009, 12:25 AM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road
Default Gravel Guards for Waders?

I have some decent breathable stocking-foot waders, and I really like them, but they don't have any built-in gravel guards. I bought some neoprene ones that you wrap around your ankles and put in place with Velcro, but they never fit well, the velcro eventually gets ripped apart by current, and they eventually come off. I actually lost one of them.

I've seen the neoprene socks with gravel guard you rool over your boot tops, but I don't want to wear them over the neoprene boties already on the waders. Beside, my boots wouldn't fit.

Anyone have any good suggestions?

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 02-13-2009, 06:42 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Gravel Guards for Waders?

Hodgeman had some with zippers on them..I carry ones that slip on before the boots and have a hook to attach to the bottom lace. No zippers or velcro..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-13-2009, 07:12 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience gravel guards do not work, so I never use them
Instead I just wear a pair of boot socks over my stocking wader feet.
IMO it works just as well, if not better
I'm always surprised to see how few people do this.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:19 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

The velcro on my Simms wrap around guards holds incredibly well. I've actually had problems pulling them apart. I highly recommend them.

Simms: Guide Model Gravel Guard, Black, Large

Sep
Old 02-13-2009, 07:33 AM

Farnsrocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sep View Post
The velcro on my Simms wrap around guards holds incredibly well. I've actually had problems pulling them apart. I highly recommend them.

Simms: Guide Model Gravel Guard, Black, Large

Sep

I was just gonna type the same thing......my Simms work incredibly well!!!
Old 02-13-2009, 07:41 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnsrocket View Post
Ditto! I used them for years. Luckily todays technology brought Cloudveil into wader making. The built in gravel guard material they use is nice and stretchy, making taking the waders on and off a snap!

As for the socks instead of gravel guards, gravel guard prevent sand and gravel from getting into your boots over the top of them. I don't see how socks would prevent that. Not being snide, just wondering.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:21 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As for the socks instead of gravel guards, gravel guard prevent sand and gravel from getting into your boots over the top of them. I don't see how socks would prevent that. Not being snide, just wondering.
The socks fill in the gaps at the top of your shoes, anything that does get in is cushioned by the sock material.
In the surf, I use to duct tape my gators in place..... That never worked any better than just plain socks
Old 02-13-2009, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

Back in the 50's I had Hodgman stocking foot waders that were made with rubber sandwiched between two fabric layers. I wore a sock over those to keep my boot from wearing through the fabric.

In the 70's I bought a pair of neoprene waders and I used a zip-up pair of Simms gravel guards. I still have and use the Simms gravel guards with the sipper. I find the zipper guards easy to put on and they stay in place. They have a hook at the bottom that fastens on to the wader boot shoe string.

Frank
Old 02-13-2009, 09:01 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

You could also get these. Same principle, just more inexpensive.

Gravel Guards by Hodgman
Old 02-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnsrocket View Post
Ditto from me as well, I've been using the same Simms pair for 8 years now. One tip, you'll notice that on a small tag where the velcro joins the neoprene, an R or an L. This is indicating which leg the guard goes on. I think this is so the overlap is on the outside so you don't kick the velcro open with your other foot. Following that signal is likely part of why I haven't lost one yet.

I think I saw them on sale on this site, via the clearance link at the bottom- Madison River Fishing Company - Ennis, Montana TONS of great deals on there.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.