The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 06:25 PM

DSFlyman is on a distinguished road
Default Tips and Bargains

I'm curious what changes folks are making in these crazy times for their fly fishing, tying and rod building needs. I don't mean fishing less or selling off gear. I mean what bargains have you found? Have you set a trap for the neighbor's dog so you can capture him and comb out some of that fine doggy dubbing (Don't tell me I'm the first!).

I drove by a fabric store that was going out of business the other day and swooped up some metallic thread for a steal (more on this at my blog, DS Fly fishing Blog, if you're interested).

What bargains have you found? What tips have you got? What creative and unconventional materials or methods have you come up with?
Old 02-15-2009, 07:17 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tips and Bargains

That's funny, I have a dalmation and a labrador, and I have been wondering lately how I can use the doggie hair in a fly. The dogs love to be scratched and brushed, but the wifes grey and white cat now runs everytime he sees me going towards him with a brush......grey cat fur dubbing, some grizzly hackle, some dalmation hair for a tail hmmm, maybe it will catch fish

d
Old 02-15-2009, 07:24 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Those hair clumps golden retrievers get behind their ears make a fairly good substitute for rabbit.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:32 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

We have a grey cat with very long hair silver tips darker the father down it goes, might just make a dang good minnow streamer.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:00 AM

DSFlyman is on a distinguished road

I'm getting my hair cut tomorrow. I think I'm going to bring a baggie.