The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 07:49 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Gloves

I have tried Ragg wool fingerless gloves, Fingerless mittens, mittens with the thumb & forefinger that you can remove & swing back & velcro out of your way. I' like to use one of those small chemical handwarmers on the back of my hands under the gloves & I've always had cold hands. I picked up a pair of Neopreme slit finger gloves at Bass Pro & wore them for the first time the other day. Aside from losing that contact with the rod & the spongy feel my hands were warm enough. I did have to take them off to re rig but my hands did warm up again quickly. I was wondering what everyone else uses...... Also aside from silicone spray what do you use on your guides to prevent iceing...
Old 02-15-2009, 08:23 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Gloves

Loon makes a good paste that keeps ice from sticking... it maybe nothing more than pet. jelly as far as I know though...

I use Simms Windblock fleece gloves that are fingerless to the first knuckle. I keep my hand warmers in my pockets, they don't like getting wet! I have some neoprene full finger gloves, but I haven't used them much... they aren't as warm as the windblock fleece, and they are a pain to get off and on (they are snug).

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 02-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I also use the Simms Windblock fleece gloves that are fingerless to the first knuckle, great when its cold out. I cut the end off one of my fingers a few years back and it doesn't like to get cold.

Larry
Old 02-15-2009, 09:56 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

OOOOHHH!!! I love this threa! I have been trying to muster up the courage to go fishing soon because I am jonesing big time, but I am a BIG wuss when it comes to cold. Here in SE Idaho it hasn't been getting above 30 very much. Soon as we get a day above freezing and I have time I am getting out.

I need a good pair of gloves also, so it is good to hear the suggestions and preferences.

As far as putting something in the guides to prevent freezing, I would be worried about it having some type of detrimental effect on my line in the long run. I don't have any info to back that up, just a thought.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:08 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

I think the only detriment to the line, assuming your using something made specifically for this application, is that you'll want to clean it after every outing. I clean and condition mine before every sub freezing outing, helps the ice that forms on the line pop right off when it hits the tip. I use and sell the system from Angling Evolutions, the clamp on applicator is well designed, and the cleaner/conditioner works as well or better than everything else I have tried. I have used the Loon Ice Off Paste (applied thin with a Q-tip) for several years with no problems.

TL's~

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 02-16-2009, 09:20 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

I've been using a pair of fingerless gloves I got from Cabelas. They were in the fly fishing dept. As to ice, I just remove it as it builds up. Single foot guides are easier to get the ice off of.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:09 AM

Trucha is on a distinguished road

Fingerless rag wool gloves when it is cold. I try to keep them dry. Sun gloves when it is warm and sunny.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:47 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Don't know how well they would keep me warm, but I have a pair of fingerless gloves that are all man-made materials that I purchased for a kayaking trip a few years ago. They have a slightly padded palm and dry real quick.

I use the fingerless wool in my hunting mittens as a base layer when hunting, but I don't think I'd use them while fishing. Once they are wet, they stay wet and that's not good.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:33 AM

nearnuff is on a distinguished road

I have always had problems with cold hands. I acquired "Chainsaw Fingers" years ago when working in the woods so my hands get cold easy. I have used pretty well all of the different gloves and wool fingerless and hand warmers work for me.
I am looking at a Jacket from Rivers West the Mckenzie River Jacket with built in gloves. Anyone tried this product?
Old 02-19-2009, 07:52 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

1mm or 2mm dive gloves with a pair of wristies.

trout fishing tips and techniques…JRWfishing.com