The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 09:40 PM

Tommy Boy is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone heard of the L2A Fly Reel?

I'm getting ready to purchase a new reel and came across this website for this reel called the L2A Fly Reel. Does anyone have any feedback on this reel?
Here is the link below....

Thanks

The Fly Shop
Old 02-15-2009, 10:30 PM

pc40chas is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone heard of the L2A Fly Reel?

never used one of these. what weight and price range are you in?
Old 02-15-2009, 10:33 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

The web site shows:
L2a for 4/5 lines = 4.8 oz
L2a for 5/6 lines = 6.0 oz

Lamson Litespeed 2 for 4/5/6 lines = 3.8 oz
Ross Evo 1.5 for 3/4/5 lines = 3.8 oz
Ross Cimarron Large Arbor for 4/5/6 lines = 4.7 oz

Ross and Lamson made in USA.
L2A most likely made overseas at that price point ($50 less than a Cimarron)

Larry
Old 02-15-2009, 10:37 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
I'm getting ready to purchase a new reel and came across this website for this reel called the L2A Fly Reel. Does anyone have any feedback on this reel?

Thanks

The Fly Shop
You should ask about the manufacturing, chances are good that it's being made for them by another player in the market if made in the US (but they don't look familiar)... that might give you more to go by.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 02-15-2009, 10:52 PM

pc40chas is on a distinguished road

between those reels i would go with the lamson litespeed. they have a ceramic conical drag system, and stainless roller clutch system with no spike start ups when that fish takes off. not to mention the hard alox finish. i just bought the lamson(waterworks) ula force in an 8wt. it only weighs 3.9 oz. it was pricey but between the construction, the weight and the beautiful appearance i will now enjoy my fishing that much more. my wife often calls me "go big or go home" . when it comes to fishing gear i dont like to settle for second best. if you cant afford what you want, save until you can. get out that old coffee can and stuff it full of change, as we talked about at another post youll be surprised at how fast it adds up.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:36 PM

saltflytyer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post

Thanks

The Fly Shop
It is made by Targus fly's. They also make a house brand reel. Some people are not very happy with the ethics of Targus because they name their hooks the exact same as Tiemco, and mislead people into thinking they are the same as tiemco because they are built in the same factory in Japan.
Yes, most hooks are made in a hub of japan, and yes targus hooks are probably made at the same factory, but the tiemco hooks are more expensive because of the steel they use.

The Fly Shop in Redding California is one of the top fly shops in the nation, one of the top staffed. BUT! the owner of the fly shop is a investor of Targus