The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 03:56 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What got you hooked?

Fishing in general has been a part of my life since I can literally remember having grown up in rural western Colorado as a boy in the late 60s and early 70s. From dunking worms to casting spinners to launching a fly and a bubble.

Fly fishing? I bough an Eagle Claw fiberglass rod in the early 80s after watching my dad fly fish on a small stream to eager brookies. By that time he was too busy to teach me properly, but I watched people and figured it out. I think rod, reel, and line cost me about $20 at a Kmart. I learned to cast and to set a hook on brookies in beaver ponds using big royal coachmen and black gnats.

I can't say I really learned how to properly fly fish until the past 10 years when I began to study the sport in more depth. And even though I now fish on much bigger and more famous rivers for much bigger fish, and own literally thousands of dollars worth of equipment and fly tying material, I still love fishing a beaver pond to willing brook trout. It brings me back to something I too often forget.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:20 PM

franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough

Well I was practically born into fly fishing. My dad fly fished and had his own shop, and his dad fly fished. I grew up in the shop playing hide and seek in the clothing racks. I started fishing on the fly at around the age of five for stockers and hiked in to my first wild stream around 6 years of age. Now eleven years later I'm still going strong and aspire to make a career from my passion for the outdoors and fishing.

Love the thread,

Chris
Old 12-08-2010, 10:02 PM

eldermike is on a distinguished road

I was 14. I waited every day for the next issue of field and stream to show up in the school library, that's what got me into the idea of it. The local general store had a fly fishing kit, bamboo rod, reel, line and some other things I can't remember. I remember being worried that someone might buy it, as though it was the only one in the world. I worked part time cleaning and washing dishes in a local restaurant and it seemed a life time before I had enough money to buy it. I and will never forget the day I put my hard earned money on the counter and walked out with that kit. I have never looked back.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:08 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

Native Brook Trout...fly fishing is how my Grandfather taught me to catch them...enough said.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Interesting Handle,

Welcome to the forum DB, I hope that you will stick around and post some of that good old brookie know how to our threads. I know that people have been looking for you for years and so this may be an inappropriate question but................where (what state) do you regularly fish in?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-09-2010, 06:41 PM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough

What a great thread this is! When I saw the title I avoided opening it up until I knew I would have some time to digest what others have said and plan my own response...

The best way I would like to be described as is "more fisherman than human"... fishing consumes me in every way and it is a passion that motivates me in almost everything I do... My grandfather fished, but he passed long before I was ever thought of. My uncle fished, but he lived 1000miles from where I grew up. Noone else I knew fished, and the city I grew up in was 60miles from the nearest half-decent water. But when something is inevitable it is inevitable.

My parents were divorced when I was 3 and my dad lived in the UK. Me and my younger brother went to visit him in the summer and he had booked a canal boat for a week which was awesome. But on my 10th birthday, and I remember it clear as day, we went into the town of Stratford-upon-Avon and we were in a general dealer type of store. My dad and step-mom were buying some groceries and I walked over to a stand at the end of an aisle and in it were fishing rod kits - you know the kind that comes all together, the fod/reel/line/some hooks/lures/float etc, all packaged up, today they are even disney charachter themed or barbie themed or whatever. I begged for that rod, and given it was my birthday and cheap and we were staying on a river it was pretty much a foregone conclusion.

So I got my first rod, and my dad, who knew nothing about fishing, asked the store owner what I should use as bait, and he got a block of cheese, and that was that. For the rest of the trip I fished... and my patient-as-anything step-mom undid a lot of birds nests... But amazingly I caught fish, and a few, and some decent ones. I couldn't tell you what they were, but somewhere in my mom's basement that first picture still lies...

I got back to South Africa and I asked my mom if I could go fishing, I had my rod and everything! My mom, who later admitted she was wrong in thinking it was just a phase I was going through, took me first to a trout farm about 30 mins from our house. There were about 7 ponds on the property and a couple had trout and most had carp in. I'll never forget my first trip there, I had been fishing my little heart out all day and I had caught nothing, nada... and then we had to go home... I reeled in my line and there it was... a little carp, probably no more than 5 inches, and all I wanted to do was keep it...but my mom told me that if I let it go we could come and try catch it again when it was a little bigger.... so happily I let it go. I have so many great memories from that trout farm which I could go on and on about including a time a fish dragged my rod reel and line into the pond and my mom dived in after it and rescued it and I got the fish! But that farm closed down and we found another, 10 minutes further down the road. There were more trout ponds there and that was when I saw my first fly fisherman. And probably within a few weeks of that the movie RRTI came out and my curiosity was peaked.

I took my mom's wool and plaited a thicker "line" and then I took the top section of my spinning rod and I began practising how to fly cast around the house. It was great fun, not much got broken, but I did catch the cat (actually I still do that, even did that earlier today with some christmas tree garland)... I was enamoured with the art of the cast and how it all worked.

It was a while before I was able to get my first fly rod, and when I did I was so excited. That was until it fell off the back of the truck before I ever had the chance to cast it. That truly sucked. It took a while for me to get my second rod. My friend broke that on one of my first trips out with it. Still fishless. My third fly rod eventually caught my first fish on a fly rod. But the fly rod was never my main weapon in my arsenal. With plenty carp fishing within 2 hours away and a few trout waters 3 hours or more away my fishing life took me the way of course fishing. So I pursued carp, but often I would carry the fly rod with me, but it didn't really get used much.

As I got older I used it more and had great fun and caught many fish and many species, but it wasn't really until I moved to Canada until the fly rod became the second most important thing in my life (after my beautiful and understanding wife!)... and it is now that I feel I have really begun to embark on my fly fishing journey, but I was hooked a good few years ago...
Old 12-09-2010, 07:10 PM

dang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by twfitw View Post
probably no more than 5 inches, and all I wanted to do was keep it...but my mom told me that if I let it go we could come and try catch it again when it was a little bigger.... ...
Not only Dirt bone fish but every other Salmonid Thanks your mom for her forethought and planning
She sounds Like a great MUM.. Good for you and Great story!

Last edited by dang old king; 12-10-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:56 PM

fishngolf16 is on a distinguished road

A golfing buddy told me that fly fishing was just as demanding but twice as rewarding as golf. That was true. He took me to the Clearwater in Idaho steel heading for my first outing. An hour in he hooked a large steel head and proceeded to fall in the river on a 20 degree day. He yelled at me, once on his feet and handed me the rod. 10 minutes later I lost the fish but have never lost the passion. Funny though I have not been steel heading since?

Coy
Old 12-14-2010, 02:34 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Interesting Handle,

Welcome to the forum DB, I hope that you will stick around and post some of that good old brookie know how to our threads. I know that people have been looking for you for years and so this may be an inappropriate question but................where (what state) do you regularly fish in?

Ard
I'm in Michigan, a pretty good place to live if your a fly fisherman. I learned in northern Wisconsin however. Northern Michigan and northern Wisconsin are just alike, so the lesson carried over fairly seamlessly.

Last edited by db cooper; 12-21-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

This is a nice thread.

I was born in 1935 and there was two types of rods use for fishing. A fly rod or a casting rod. There were no spin fishing till the 50's. As a tyke I spent every summer up at Bass lake. My grandmother would camp on the lake all summer long and my grandfather came up for the weekends. I don't remember ever fishing with my grandfather but he fly fished and at one time re-wrapped his two rods. I especially remember the summer of 1941. I had three Uncles that I followed around all the time and they were always getting me into trouble. My uncles were up to the lake on and off all summer and it was a grand summer. I remember that Christmas my Uncles were all in military uniform and scheduled to leave for duty right after Christmas. That was the last Christmas we spent together and the last time I ever saw my Uncle Bill.

My grandfather passed when I was nine and his fly rods passed to my dad. I used the fly rods to catch trout and bass using salmon eggs or worms. I didn't know how to cast a fly until I was a teenager and working at a fly shop. With my own car I could go fly fishing but I never had anyone to teach me. I was a avid reader and had a big collection of magazines. Around 1952 or so spin fishing became popular and I spin fished for several years but I never got far from fly fishing. In 1953 I bought my first fly fishing book, The Practical Fly Fisherman by A. J. McClane. That was my bible and I had most of it memorized. I also bought my first new fly rod in 1953. It was a Heddon Bamboo and I used it for years. I still have it but don't fish it any more. If my grandfather had lived longer I think I would have been a much better fly fisher much sooner.

Frank