The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 12:49 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default Re: What got you hooked?

For me it was the artistry of the cast.

Some of my earliest memories are of my dad taking me fishing with him. We used to troll for kokanee and trout on Prineville reservoir in central OR during our annual summer camping trips. Then it was silvers and chinook or lingcod, snapper and halibut on the ocean. When i was by myself i often was throwing spinners to fat bass on ponds. I always look longingly at the old beat up, never used fly rod hanging on his wall of fishing rods in his shop. When he wasnt around i occasionally would grab it, run out into the pasture out front of the house and whip that thing around like crazy thinking i was fly casting.

As i got older i have fished for about everything Oregon has to offer and a few other trophy fish. Spin casting, trolling and bait casting lost is luster for me a while back and i hung up my poles for a long time and pursued other interests. Over the years though when i saw someone on tv or an angler near somewhere we were traveling or camping i would always stop to watch if that person was a fly fisherman. It is just beautiful to watch.

Then i made a decision that i must partake of it myself. Not only must i partake, but i must do so properly and i wanted to be good. So i went and took some lessons from a very good fly caster and guide. Now, i am well and truly addicted and thankfully the wife doesnt seem to mind at all..
Old 12-19-2010, 04:27 AM

the_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura about

i got hooked on it for the throngs of women, millions of dollars in commercial deals, and the world wide admiration and jealousy of my peers...... ill let you know when i find all of it!

i got hooked cause my grandpa did it and my dad stopped fly fishing when he passed... now that its all i do he occasionally tosses yarn with me
Old 12-20-2010, 04:57 PM

sevenmxf is on a distinguished road

Great question, ant.

Prior to August of this year, I knew nothing about fly fishing. At first, the challenge, complexity and almost existential reverence for this type of fishing was most interesting to me. It was, however, the moment at which I fell into a chest-high undercut in a small Adirondack stream while trying to land a monstrously powerful (ie, 11") brookie while my 10-year old son cheered me on, that hooked me. It was my first trout on a fly and it was an event that my son and I will never forget.

Happy Holidays, everyone.

Michael
Old 12-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

For as long as I can remember I wanted to learn to fly fish, but it wasn't until I moved out from my parents after finishing my formal education just over 25 years ago that I did.

I grew up fishing in Northern California for nearly anything that could be caught from salt and fresh water with spinning and casting gear with my dad. After I got into grade school I rode my bicycle to ponds and creeks near my home fishing several days per week and when my dad was a truck driver on the road a few days per week, sometimes on weekends my mom would drive to slews or to the Sacramento River she sat and read a book in the car while I fished.

I also convinced my mom to buy a subscription to Field and Stream and when I wasn't fishing I was reading about it or watching fishing shows on TV. I drove my dad nuts, because he wasn't interested in learning much about fishing he just wanted go into a bait and tackle shop ask where to go and what to use.

I don't remember where I first saw or heard of fly fishing, but I do remember from the time I was fairly young I asked my dad for a fly rod and talked about interest in learning how to fly fish. My father, however was unwilling as according to him "Fly Fishing is to involved," which is exactly what appealed to me.

Finally, being the non-conformist that I am one of the first things I did after graduation from College and moving into my own place was visit a fly fishing shop and buy a fly Sage beginners kit of some kind with a 6wt rod, reel, wt fwd line, leaders, tippits, flies, waders, wader boots, fly boxes, etc. and video tapes about how to cast, fish, read water and basic entomology and I bought a couple books too. I watched those videos over and over and practiced casting in the local park, ponds, and streams within minutes of where I lived after work and on days off.

By then I'd already caught lots trout with spinning gear in lakes and rivers, but mostly planters. After two weeks of watching videos and practicing and visiting the fly shop I went fishing for my first time with the fly rod on the Little Truckee River. I chose there, because I heard of its reputation for good wild rainbows and browns. That day I raised, hooked, and landed over 20 browns and rainbows to dry flies and I was so hooked if it wasn't for the fact that I liked being with my dad fishing as often as possible I would have sold all my spinning and casting gear, which I eventually did after he passed.

I've just simply loved fishing for a long as I remember I guess my desire to learn as much as I can and be the most effective fisherman possible is what caught me about fly fishing long before I actually got to do it.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 12-20-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:48 PM

dang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmxf View Post
Great question, ant.

Prior to August of this year, I knew nothing about fly fishing. At first, the challenge, complexity and almost existential reverence for this type of fishing was most interesting to me. It was, however, the moment at which I fell into a chest-high undercut in a small Adirondack stream while trying to land a monstrously powerful (ie, 11") brookie while my 10-year old son cheered me on, that hooked me. It was my first trout on a fly and it was an event that my son and I will never forget.

Happy Holidays, everyone.

Michael
Love That...!
Old 12-20-2010, 07:48 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I'd been fishing for silvers in Alaska for several years on a little river called the Tsiu. A bunch of us worked together and went each year and every year I took lighter and lighter spin gear with me to add sport to the harvest...finally resorting to a 5 1/5 foot light action rod, my old 308 and 6 LB line....

The next year I headed to the fishing shop and got myself a St Croix pro graphite (80 bucks back in the day) and an Okuma Sierra 8/9 spooled up with a wf floater and a sink tip on the other spool.

On my 1st cast with that rig, having NO IDEA what I was doing...I hooked a 12 lb silver on the Tsiu. Beautiful hen....ripped line thru my fingers, giving me a burn and then whacking my nuckles like crazy....but, I managed to land her, heart beating about 3,000 times/minute and breathing hard from chasing her all over the river.

Hooked...I mean HOOKED... Never looked back and I have a LOT of lonely spin gear I should sell or give away..

-Mike
Old 12-23-2010, 03:10 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

My family are all sea fishermen, we tryed in the river a few times with dad and got nothing (not understanding why sea gear wont get trout), at about 10 ish my grandfather said he would take us for a fishing trip to the upper reaches of the mataura river for a few days, the fish were rising every where, and I could not fathom why they were not taking my spinner (the mad rise that the river is famous for). then was when I found out that they took small flies, watching my grandfather with his fly rod had me hooked, it was some time (and much pestering) before my father brought me a fly rod, after months of practicing on the lawn at home I finaly got to go out again (I didnt get anything for some time after this as I had a problem listening to instruction). when I was finaly able to listen almost like magic I started catching fish, then years later I got married and caught the flytying bug (when I found out it wasnt as expensive as I thought it might be to start).

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD