The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 09:58 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default What got you hooked?

The other day, I was thinking back on when I first started to fly fish and if I am at where I thought the journey would take me. This started me to wonder what other reasons others started to fly fish.

My story; a few years ago during the Spring (right around the beginning of this recession) I was laid off from a pretty cushy job that I absolutely hated. I found myself with a lot of time on my heads and not a whole lot of "what comes next" kind of plans.

Now I hadn't fished since I was a kid, but I remembered hearing a story from ancient China that when a man had some hard decisions to make, he would go out fishing and wouldn't come back until he had made that decision. I realized that I might not be able to leave for days or weeks on end, but an afternoon fishing started to sound like a good start.

I went out and bought some spin tackle and hit the local lake a few times. It was fun, but it wasn't as satisfying as I would have liked.

That is when I started to think about fly fishing. The images of some lonesome angler on some forgotten stream casting the line back and forth was both enchanting, and just downright pretty cool.

I checked out a few video's online and, fooling myself into thinking that I could pick this up pretty quick. So I went back to the store and bought a cheap(for fly gear...) Martin combo that even came with a few flies.

I watched a few more videos and when out to the stream. That first day I hooked into my very first telephone line, but couldn't land him.....

Somewhere along the line, I found this site. I think I can honestly say that without this sites help, and everyone's obvious passion for the sport, I might have grown disillusioned and tossed the rod into the corner.

I was wondering if anyone else would like to share what "got them hooked"....?
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-06-2010, 10:22 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni
Default Re: What got you hooked?

nice story Ant..you are on right path
and for me,I was born hooked
Old 12-06-2010, 10:27 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

A new Sportsman Warehouse opened in our town (now gone). On a trip to pick up some spinning gear the salesperson in the fishing dept and I both stated that we'd like to learn to fly fish someday. We both started to do research. I visited there a lot to look at equipment, materials, and share information. Next was a fly tying class, then another, then a casting class, then another, then join the local FF Club, then fishing trips, and lots of new friends.
Oh, and then borrow money from foreign countries to support my deficit spending on FF stuff
Old 12-06-2010, 10:30 AM

dang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nice

Great topic!
I was 22 fresh out of the Navy and on my 1st big construction job as an apprentice electrician. Freezing my arse off in the middle of a minus 22deg, 14 day period in a Colorado February. We were at break and this beast of a man (he used to bugle for elk to call his cubs(apprentice) to come to his assistance..I digress..)He was braggin how he could catch fish at I-25 and I-76 (Dirty water S.Platte) I called BS on his pontification. He reached into his lunch box..and produced some pictures of the biggest trout I had ever seen .I was an avid spin guy until that day. I asked him if he would consider taking me and showing me the ropes..His response.."(chuckle) Son I have enough fishin buddies I don't need another one,besides if I show you,I'm going to have to beat the **** out of you next time I go fishing because you'll be standing in my hole".. Ture dat..
With that I was bitten. I went to my 1st ISE but it was called the Denver Sportsman's Expo then..Met Gary Borger, Doug Swisher, Lefty Kreh, and many of the fly fishing forefathers. INFECTED..like the walking dead I was.
I went to my local fly shop and started hanging out. just listening..the owner took a shine to me and gave me a few videos for free and I bought a Black Eagle II and Pflueger Metalist for about fitty bucks. The line was more expensive then the gear. Went up to the South Platte, And managed about 5 fish my 1st time .Lunacy followed .I started missing 2 to 3 day of work a week, almost got dropped out of the apprenticeship program..Suppose that's enough for now..
It's been some 25 years now and I'm still learning still loving the sport that has brought so much to me. There is truth too the china man and his philosophy on fishing & decision making..I live it

Last edited by dang old king; 12-06-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:06 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

For me it was watching and reading about the flats guys. I thought it was killer that guys were using fly gear in salt water. Soon enough I picked up a used Orvis HLS 9'6" 9wt and a Lamson, SA striper taper and was off! Bluefish and bass were what I chased until it dawned on me that this gear is rooted in freshwater I might start the sweetwater fishing again. The rest is history, a couple decades and probably thousands of dollars spent on feathers and fuzz and here I am, waiting on my ride to go fish in half a blizzard!!
Old 12-06-2010, 11:09 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dang old king View Post
he used to bugle for elk to call his cubs(apprentice) to come to his assistance..I digress..
wow.... I laughed so hard at that I had tears in my eyes....
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Good tale Anthony,

My story is simple. When I was about 7 or 8 years old I spent a Sunday at my Grandparents (they had a TV) while I was there I got to see 'The American Sportsman' on ABC. The program featured Lee Wulff and Curt Goudy fishing for Atlantic Salmon with fly rods. When the show ended the host announced that on the next 'Fishing Edition' of the program they would be going after salmon in Alaska. I kept the date pinned in my mind and showed up two Sundays later to see them again.

The road to a fly rod was a little tougher than it would have been if I had been older and had a job but I went fishing anyway. I fished with a throw line for Bullheads in the West Branch of the Susquehanna River and every time I was pulling one in I pretended it was a salmon like those men on TV. That was 48 years ago and believe me it has been a journey. When the boy watched the men fishing for salmon all those years ago he could have never have known how many years, miles, or rivers were already in the plan for him.

This is a good topic for people to write on Anthony and for me it causes reflection and I have to tell you that I am so thankful for what I have done with a very large part of my life thus far. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-06-2010, 11:49 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Reading Field and Stream at a neighbor's house as a kid.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:11 PM

dang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Good tale Anthony,
This is a good topic for people to write on Anthony and for me it causes reflection and I have to tell you that I am so thankful for what I have done with a very large part of my life thus far. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Ard
Here Here! I wouldnt change a thing either Ard.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

My beginnings were when I was 13, parents just divorced, times were tight during the late 70's, and gas was a lot cheaper.

My Dad and I spent most every weekend spin-fishing for something, Crappie, Channel Cat, or Smallies. Well with the time spent on a local lake I started showing interest in the type of fishing the older men were doing out in the lake at night floating around on their funny looking homemade float tubes, they were using an inner tube with a wooden seat lashed in with rope.

Anyway, my Dad told me he would help me get the equipment over the Summer, his main concern was to keep a young Teenager preoccupied and out of trouble when he wasn't around. My first rod was a Yellow Eagle Claw "Sweetheart", a Garcia clicker reel, a very basic double taper line. The fishing was so much more simple back then, usually fished a Black Wooly Worm or a Double Renegade.

I was fortunate enough to have one of the "older men" named Chuck have pity on me and took me under his wing, He was a F&G Biologist and during the Summer months was on the lake every night and always brought in a nice Cutty or Bow.
Over that first Summer, I learned the basics, spent many hours flogging the water all day, (my Mom would drop me off at the lake while she was at work, Dad would come up after he got off work), and actually caught some very nice Rainbow.
That old rod and reel is on the wall above me now.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*