The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 11:07 AM

Pavel will become famous soon enough
Default Streamers for Browns.

I have been fly fishing for browns for the last two years, but have got addicted to fishing dries and started fishing some nymphs in the past year. I would like to have a more diverse strategy at approaching the river and would like to include some streamers into my arsenal. Anyone that could give me the first couple of go to streamers for browns would be great, if possible include size and best way to fish them.

Thanks in advance,

Pavel
Old 02-17-2009, 11:48 AM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Streamers for Browns.

You should check out Kelly Galloup's DVD and/or book on the subject. His basic approach is throwing streamers for large browns. A few of the flies are his Sex Dungeon and Zoo Cougar. You will find some other threads on this if you do a search or just Google Kelly Galloup. Good luck!
Old 02-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Pavel,

I guess to some extent it could depend a bit on where you fish (size of browns, baitfish present) and water conditions (depth, clarity).

But the zoo cougar and sex dungeon and other sculpin type patterns are very good, especially if you're targeting big browns.

My all around favorite is a black marabou muddler. It has a lot of action because of the marabou, even in still water, it pushes a lot of water because of the head, and the black silhouette seems easy to pick out in stained water. Strikes can be so vicious I'm not sure if is taken as food or if it just triggers some deep seated sense of hatred. Fish will sometimes go out of their way to chase and slam them.

It can be fished a number of different ways, including weighted ones on a long leader and floating line. But I usually fish it unweighted on a short leader with a sink tip. If you're in moving water, try both swinging it, and stripping it. If you swing it, you can also let it hang in the current at the end of the swing, the current will pull it up, and this often triggers strikes, and you can also drop it back from upstream steering it into lies in front of rocks, into the head of a pool etc. Everything is worth trying: dead drifting, rising and falling at the end of a line, slow retrieves with short occasional twitches, and rapid retrieve with fast strips (especially along undercut banks).

And don't be afraid to go big. On big water I'll go to size 2, but usually a size 6 seems to be a good fly for most places, especially in deep pools, and/or off colored water. Perhaps a bit smaller for smaller streams or clear water.

In still water or big pools with little current, a good thing to do with a sink tip is cast out and count down to fish different depths before starting a retrieve. It is an excellent fly for SM and LMB too.

Other flies that have worked for me, usually on a floating line are standard muddlers, including mini muddlers as small as size 12 (on clear small freestone streams), and the Shusan Postmaster (an old timey pattern) on slow moving, fertile streams.

Good luck,

Mark
Old 02-18-2009, 09:25 AM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

I second the nomination of Kelly Galoup's DVD. It's available from Netflix if you're on that.

Also a new booklet from Ian & Charity Rutter, "Fly Fishing with Streamers".

They agreed on most of the points. Big trout feed on small fish, mostly during the low-light hours. During the day they lay in quiet holding water, along logs & cut banks, etc., rather than typical feeding lanes. The streamer is fished aggressively, and the trout react on a predatory instinct, more than as a feeding strike.

Last weekend I tried Kelly's advice and was casting a size 4 Olive Wooly Bugger on a full sinking line, casting to logs and edges along the banks of a local tailwater. On about the 10th cast a trout slammed the fly. To my surprize the trout was only about 8 inches long, but the fly was about 3 inches. When I saw the size of the fish and the aggressiveness (I had been skunked after about an hour of nymphing) I changed to a slightly smaller BH WB, and caught half a dozen 10 - 12 inch brookies and rainbows within about 30 minutes.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system