The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 12:03 PM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Flotant

Hi All,
I just picked up a bottle of Loon Top Ride and am now wondering if I need to carry both the Top Ride dry floatant and a bottle of Gink licquid?
If both are reccomended, what is the proper application of each?
Thanks,
Old 02-17-2009, 02:43 PM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fly Flotant

Flydog,
The top ride is a desiccant which will absorb water from an already wet fly. It can be used as a floatant on some flies such as CDC but it does not keep the fly on the surface for a very long period of time. You will want to use it in combination with other floatants such as Aquel of Gink. Most of the time you will want to apply the liquid floatant to your finger and then rub it into the fly. You can apply gink and other liquids straight to the fly but you do run a risk of using to much and then the fly won't float very well until it dries out a bit. I prefer to apply the liquid paste floatants to my fingers and then apply it to the fly to insure I don't put to much on. Once your fly gets drenched with water from either catching a fish or from getting washed under repeatedly you will want to blow off excess water and then put the fly into the top ride to suck the water out of the fly. Once the fly has dried a bit I would blow it off again to make sure and get all the crystals off and then apply a very small amount of the liquid floatant again to the dried out fly. The Top ride does work pretty well but I find it to be too much of a hassle to use and have had more bottles of stuff like it come open in my bag, so I have quite using it.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:01 PM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly Flotant

Thanks a bunch, that exactly what I was wondering about. I mainly got it for some CDC flies I tied up but got to wondering if I still needed both.