The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 07:10 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Another Proud Papa Report....

While tying a few foam beetle patterns tonight, my oldest son (7 yrs. old) comes to me and asks: 'Dad, does Santa like fishing?' I said I'm sure he does. He then asks: 'Can we tie up a special Fly for Santa and leave it out with the cookies, so that he can catch some fish with it?'

Looks like I'm tying up a red and green bug sometime soon... Streamer? Deer Hair bug? What else would be visibly 'Christmas-y'.

I think I am leaning towards Deer Hair Bass bug as I could fish it after the holidays. There aren't many bugs that could pass in bright red and green clothes-- are there?

Pics to follow-- Not promising any time-frames....
Old 12-06-2010, 08:22 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default Re: Another Proud Papa Report....

I look forward to this holiday fly.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats! Doesn't get much better than that does it!

Larry

Old 12-06-2010, 10:05 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Neat story. Nice of your son to think about Santa.
Scroll all the way to the bottom of this link page. I laugh everytime I see this fly.

Foam Hopper Tour

Not quite to the bottom, a little over half way to the "Santa Hopper"

Last edited by Jimmie; 12-06-2010 at 10:08 PM. Reason: scroll half way
Old 12-06-2010, 11:16 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Careful the boy doesnt see you fishing it...lots of explaining will follow
Old 12-06-2010, 11:56 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Jimmie--- LOL!!! That's great!

Okuma-- I've considered this-- it is one reason I am leaning toward just tying up something 'easy' and that won't use a large amount of materials(Thinking about a mickey finn with red tinsel, and green and white wing.) and then just tossing it after we leave it out. A deer hair bug would be cool as I could fish it-- but he likes to go along sometimes and he'd certainly recognize it. deer hair (at least the way I spin it) uses a lot of hair and thread.... I'd hate to use all of that (petty, I know...) and then make it disappear. Plus, He likes the buggy looking flies-- he doesn't appreciate stacked hair bugs.

Maybe I could do an elk hair caddis with red dubbing, white hackle, and green deer hair as the wing (I don't have green elk...).

Larry you're right not much better...

and Vans-- once I decide on something, I'll post it--- It won't be groundbreaking-- but should be fun to see my son's reaction.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:12 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the North Pole is on sea ice so it has to be a Salt Water fly. When the pack ice opens in the summer the water stays really cold so top water is probably not a great idea. Maybe a top to Bottom Green/ Red/ White with some red and green crystal flash. Kinda Salmon pattern. Could even make the eyes metallic like Christmas bulbs. And when your done you can give it to me to hold on to, till I run into Santa.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:23 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Good little Father - Son project... Why not have him help you design Santa's fly? Looking forward to the pics.

Dan
Old 12-07-2010, 08:52 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by okuma View Post
Careful the boy doesnt see you fishing it...lots of explaining will follow
That's simple, tie two. One for Pa and one for Santa.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

That's really neat--- I'm sure Santa will appreciate it --- maybe he'll even leave some extra stuff behind as a way of saying thanks......

Something like a Royal Coachman (dry fly or a bucktail streamer version) would look pretty christmas-ey but I'm sure Santa will appreciate whatever you tie.

Sounds like you've got a pretty neat kid there- congrats. This is a pretty magic time of year for them-- I remember back when I was a kid and starting to have doubts one year-- but on the news on Christmas Eve during the weather report they showed the blip from Santa's sleigh picked up on radar off the coast of Iceland.... heading towards the East coast....