The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 08:57 AM

jcl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ugly Flies ???

I recently discovered in my stuff a box of flies from when I first started tying. Most of them are pretty horrible, and I've been thinking I should probably strip them of materials and re-use the hooks, but I doubt I'll get to that unless I ever find myself suddenly low on hooks.

Those flies (or at least ones like them) definitely caught some fish, though, especially sunnies and rock bass. In fact, I should probably try my experiment that worked -- a woolly bugger with a yellow body, purple marabou, and thick black hackle. I don't know if it looked like a punk crayfish or what, but the rock bass liked it.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:22 PM

DSFlyman is on a distinguished road

I had the same question about the ugly first flies and mistakes that I tied up. Then I thought back to those fishing outings where the same fly I was using got mangled more and more after each fish it caught, yet seemed to become more effective. At the time I thought maybe the trout had some kind of fish like fermone in their mouths that other trout couldn't resist. then I thought, maybe they can tell that the mangled fly had been in another trouts maw and it thought to itself, if it's good enough for him, its good enough for me.

Then I thought, my ugly flies are perfect!
Old 02-18-2009, 02:29 PM

jcl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSFlyman View Post
I had the same question about the ugly first flies and mistakes that I tied up. Then I thought back to those fishing outings where the same fly I was using got mangled more and more after each fish it caught, yet seemed to become more effective. At the time I thought maybe the trout had some kind of fish like fermone in their mouths that other trout couldn't resist. then I thought, maybe they can tell that the mangled fly had been in another trouts maw and it thought to itself, if it's good enough for him, its good enough for me.

Then I thought, my ugly flies are perfect!
I actually figured out my favorite 'gill pattern from that happening. What started as a poorly-tied Elk Hair Caddis became an I don't know what that would sink reaaaally slowly. Now I just tie it in its mangled form to start with and almost always use it as a dropper.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:47 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Try them all, pretty flies catch fishermen, ugly flies catch fish!
Old 02-19-2009, 04:56 PM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

I've been tying for a good while and I think I'm a barely decent tier. The ugly flies I think are fishable do get fished. The others go in the shoebox with the hundreds of others. A friend of mine goes through the box from time to time and fills his fly box. He seems to catch as many fish as I do. Go figure!
Old 02-20-2009, 10:57 AM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

I have a big can full of old flies and failed experiments. As I've gotten better as a tier, less and less goes in the can. I do still put flies in the can when I clean out and reorganize my boxes though. Now it's mostly patterns that have been in the boxes for a while that I never seem to use but are still fishable flies. I also have fishing buddies who pick thru the can to fill their own boxes.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:58 PM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough

I keep the ugly ones and fish them when nothing else seems to work. Besides, bluegills will eat ANYTHING. I've seen them hit a cigarette butt. I've even seen them pick the hairs off my legs (which is painful, I might add).
Ugly flies WILL catch fish. It just might not be the fish you're wanting to catch.

Bluegills are small, but they'll make a turd. When you're hungry, that's all that matters. And in these economic times, we can't be picky.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:09 PM

Midwest flyfish kid will become famous soon enough

I haev some horribly ugly flies but they work so I keep them. I mostly dismantle them if I need hooks.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:37 PM

Cooler00 is on a distinguished road

The way I look at it, just starting out, I'm tying either some incredibly injured and/or genetically disfigured flies...hopefully trout will see them as an easy meal

Scott
Old 02-21-2009, 11:54 PM

Ronnie z is on a distinguished road

Try using the imperfect flies in faster water. Yow might just be surprised.A couple of years ago i tied some funny looking caddis and they caught some finicky browns that wouldnt take anything else.