The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Ugly Flies ??? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/7963-ugly-flies.html)

tie one on 02-17-2009 07:02 PM

Ugly Flies ???

Here's a question, especially if you have been tying for sometime, or just a beginner tyer :

What do you do with those flies that just don't quite turn out right ?

- Do you use them anyway?
- Do you drop them in a jar & dismantle at a later time to re-use the
hook ?
- Do you pawn them off to your friends as "cool new flies" ?
- How often during your tying time has this happened ?

Just curious
Tie One On

Hardyreels 02-17-2009 07:40 PM

Re: Ugly Flies ???

Tie,

Some I keep forever (I have the first fly I ever tied) but most of them get fished. The worst you can do with a streamer is get the head wrong, too big, bad shape etc.

With dries it's different, the wings might be too big or tilted too forward, still I used them unless they were so bad that I was shamed by them. I guess that's how you get good, you keep tying flies until what you don't think is any good your friends will jump at. Never quit trying to tie better flies.

Ard

Jimmie 02-17-2009 07:59 PM

In the beginner catagory here. Did about a dozen caddis pupa this week and they're all ugly. Legs look like wings, whipped the peacock herl flat, but I love them so much that I'm going to fish them, lol. Maybe I'll just catch ugly fish.
Not going to quit though. May tie a couple more tonight.

FISHN50 02-17-2009 08:12 PM

When I started tying I would keep a razor next to the vise & if I didn't like the fly I'd just cut everything off & try again. Sometimes I'd have 2-3 attempts on a hook before I liked it enough to keep. Eventually mpst of my flies were fishable so the razor is still there but in the back of the tying bench.
I give away a lot of flys but they are mostly all fishable. Sometimes on a new pattern it will take a few to get it down pat but they will all be fishable. Usually my buddies will get them right out of my flybox or my backup box so they're getting the same thing I'm fishing with....

Now that my eyes are older, unless I'm using a magnifier or the fly is on larger than a size 8 hook they all look good

Joni 02-17-2009 08:15 PM

I guess I try them first and if they don't work, then they end up in a jar.

MikeG 02-17-2009 08:49 PM

My Friend was messing around with colors once for clousers and tied a strange assortment. There was one that was Hot Pink and silver, Yellow/Neon Green, Brown/hot pink, and one he called rainbow which had all the colors of the rainbow in it. He was going to cut them up and retie them but I took them off his hands. Ironically the Hot pink/silver and the brown/hot pink are my best river walleye flies. and the Yellow/neon green attracts quite a few carp and the occasional catfish. Who would of thunk it!?!

FISHN50 02-17-2009 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joni (Post 49798)
I guess I try them first and if they don't work, then they end up in a jar.

You brought up a good point Joni. Do you ever thin out your flybox & if you do , How often?? Everyone has those flies that were tied for a trip or special outing & just didn't work for whatever reason. After a few years of tying you end up with variations of many patterns so I guess those are the ones that for me end up in " The Jar". How many flies of each pattern do you keep in your flybox & in your vest.

Joni 02-17-2009 09:09 PM

I am getting simpler in my years. I have cut down my boxes to maybe 15 different patterns and a bunch of different sizes. I still have jars of old flies that I never get around to redoing. Sometimes however, my husband will grab a hand full and I will be danged if they don't work.....really ticks me off some times. LOL

FlyfishnakedInc 02-17-2009 11:23 PM

I've been tying for maybe 30 years and yes i still goof up a new idea or a pattern. Yes i do fish them, hell you can get great insight if it works. To help eliminate this problem, I do not epoxy the first couple of flies as i go, that way if their goofed i can take a razor blade and slice down the shank and save a hook. Fly Fishers are tinker-ers. We love a challenge and we love to experiment. Thats what tying is all about. Its about the pursuit of an ideal and a something we can't put our finger on. So it seems more the question why don't we fish the flies we mess up............ A thought to ponder i suppose

Happy tying and Happy fishing

Rip Tide 02-18-2009 08:23 AM

I started tying when I was 7 and I've tied all my own flies since 1974.
I still suck... (at least I think so :icon_roll )
That's because I never tie just for fun, I only tie what I need and practice makes perfect.

My flies don't and won't ever look like 'store bought'.
And that's fine with me