The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 10:17 PM

pc40chas is on a distinguished road
Default drag

does any one else out there have a problem with the drag knob on the opposite side of the crank. its not a big problem, but when your fighting a big steelhead or similar it seems to be inconvenient. i dont even know if it can be fixed. just wondering how everyone else deals with this. or do you just adjust and deal with it.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:19 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: drag

What type / make reel is it.???
Old 02-17-2009, 10:30 PM

pc40chas is on a distinguished road

my 8wt reel is a lamson waterworks ula force 3.5 really nice reel and im sure with any other reel if your into a nice fish and hes fighting like these steelies do, my rod is in my left hand and the drag is also on the left. i find it a little out of place with all the technology we have. im not trying to be a complainer but for the sake of discussion isnt it kinda backwards.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Lots of us go by the idea that you don't dare touch the drag knob while fighting a fish because that is a great way to snap a fish off. You can add more drag temporarily by palming the rim of the spool to add tension. Friction (heat) will tell you when you're applying too much.

Even if I was feeling the need to adjust the drag while fighting a fish, I wouldn't dare try it on a reel that had the drag adjustment on the same side as the crank handle- that handle could smack your knuckle and suddenly snap off the fish. Either that or it'll hurt so bad you'll flail and send the whole rig flying where the fish is pulling it.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:48 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Like Cliff said most of the time you just set the drag for min resistance depending on tippet size & if more is needed just palm the reel or turn the rod away from the fish . I think that adjusting the drag with a big fish on would be asking for trouble.
When you first posted I thought you were talking about a reel like my Teton Tioga that has a large drag knob on the side of the reel. I've lost a few fish when they have taken a long run while I'm trying to get them on the reel & the line has whipped around & caught on the drag knob. That just took some technique adjusting to overcome.........
Old 02-18-2009, 09:06 AM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

I've never seen a reel with etrh drag adjustment on the handle side of the spool. I suppose there could be some LA reels out there with that feature, but I can't place them.

I really like having teh drag knob on the center of the non-handle side, rather than having a smaller dial somehere else. The larger knob is much easier to adjust. My Okuma SLV rels have a low-profile knob that so far hasn't had any line catch on it. I just got a fantastic deal on a Cortland Current Mid-Arbor reel, that has a much larger knob. I've only used it once, but had no problems.

As for adjusting the drag while fighting a fish, the only reason I can see needed to adjust it is that sometimes I have the drag set heavier than I really should based on tippet. The reason is that if the drag is too low, then the reel can over-spin while I pull out line while casting, and that can lead to bird nests. I know I should just practice and be more delicate, but pationce has never been my strong suit.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 02-18-2009, 03:01 PM

For Clarification the drag knob is on the side opposite the reel spool handle. It just protrudes too much & like i said earlier as the line sometimes whips around when you first hook a big fish & are trying to get him on the reel. It's just another area to watch out for besides the rod handle....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tioga Reels.jpg (68.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-18-2009, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

Here is an example of a reel with the brake adjustment on the same side of the reel as the handle. Many think it is a bad idea because you can't adjust it with a fish on. To me that is a non-problem because I wouldn't adjust it with a fish on.

The second reel has two handles. You can see that the second handle could get in the way. I think with practice you could adjust to it. You could remove one handle but you would have to add some weight to counter balance the reel. It wouldn't be to hard to figure out how much weight you would need to counter balance one handle. The problem is how to attached it.

Bauer Mackenzie Super Light
Click the image to open in full size.

Reel with double handle
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:18 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Only times I had to adjust a drag is when a BIG fish runs extremly far on a light tippet, then i had to back off, If not i would have been broken off from the resistance of the line cutting through the water will add the drag..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-18-2009, 04:28 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
only times i had to adjust a drag is when a big fish runs extremly far on a light tippet, then i had to back off, if not i would have been broken off from the resistance of the line cutting through the water will add the drag..
bingo!!