The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 11:10 PM

pc40chas is on a distinguished road
Default just a tip

for some newer fly guys, heres a tip i posted elsewhere on this forum. when choosing your leader and tippet this is the rule of thumb i use: choose the size of fly we'll say 18 for easy math, now divide that by 3 and you get 6. theres your leader, now your tippet should be at the heaviest 5x. for different size flies you can just round it out, its just a good starting point. then of course you have the clearity of the water to factor in. but in dirty water youll use a bigger fly so the math starts over. sometimes for the leader ill go 1x lighter it seems to match better.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:10 AM

GRN will become famous soon enough
Default Re: just a tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc40chas View Post
for some newer fly guys, heres a tip i posted elsewhere on this forum. when choosing your leader and tippet this is the rule of thumb i use: choose the size of fly we'll say 18 for easy math, now divide that by 3 and you get 6. theres your leader, now your tippet should be at the heaviest 5x
With regard to your leader / tippit relationship... this is opposite of what I do and recommend. I have a different approach that has less faith in math, and more in 15 years of experimentation ... I generally choose my tapered leader based on my line weight and taper to get the smoothest transfer of energy... for example with a 5wt WF I'll usually go with a 4X, and with DT and TT sometimes a 5X. From there I generally go +1X for my tippet, unless I'm concerned that it won't cut it for the fish I'm likely to find during that outing, then sometimes I'll run the same weight. I never rig with a tippet that is heavier/stronger than my leader... it makes no sense to me. YMMV

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 02-18-2009, 07:37 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: just a tip

I didn't study.... I didn't know there was gonna be a quiz