The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 07:28 AM

franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough
Default My First Sculpin, What do you think?

I took a look at the fish, and a sculpin pattern and just went to tying, I had it all pictured in my head.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:21 AM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of
Default Re: My First Sculpin, What do you think?

Your off to a great start, the profile is good with the pronounced head. The only thing that I would add to the fly is to change the pectoral fins. The peck fins are a very major component of the silhouette on a Sculpin. They should also be tied in just behind the head rather than in the front by the eye. A good round tipped feather makes a nice peck fin or you can cut one out of the bottom base of a marabou quill. Good luck with the fly!
Old 12-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Looks good. Just remember to not make the head too dense/bulky as it can interfere with sinking the fly to the bottom. Fluff counteracts lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
you can cut one out of the bottom base of a marabou quill.
Good idea there! The stiff stem will help make the fin stick out like they do on the natural.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:26 AM

merkin_muffley is on a distinguished road

Pectorals or not, that'll catch fish.

To me, a good sculpin pattern gets to the bottom quickly and stays there, and has an action and shape which approximates the natural. I wouldn't be shy about adding more lead, beads, cones, or lead/brass eyes to your pattern in order to get it to sink faster.

It's an excellent start though, and I'd definitely fish it.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:21 AM

franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all the feedback guys. How long should the pecs be when tied behind the head?

BigCliff, will the fluff not get waterlogged and work with the lead? Or are you saying theres more surface with the fluff for the current to push against making it take longer to sink.

Thanks again everyone,

Chris
Old 12-07-2010, 02:53 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Looks good! when tying mine i like to use hen indian saddle hackles, they are perfect shaped and have a nice bend so when tied shiny side in they stick out real nice like. I also really like marabou as it doesn't get to waterlogged and wool heads, i've done a few that also had a matuka style to them that looked pretty good.

Big trout love sculpins, keep it up.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzenangler View Post
BigCliff, will the fluff not get waterlogged and work with the lead? Or are you saying theres more surface with the fluff for the current to push against making it take longer to sink.
It will get waterlogged and sink but more fluff makes it take longer to absorb the water. When you first start fishing it, dunk it and squeeze the air out of the wool, the rabbit hair, and the leather rabbit hide. It will sink fairly well after that, but every false cast will sling some water out of it and interfere with sinking. Doing as little false casting as possible will help. (using spey casts help alot with that)

You're also right that a bulkier fly will be affected by the current more and have a harder time sinking. Reducing or eliminating tension on the fly from the line as it hits the water and descends will be very helpful.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:49 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Franzen, good start dude!
My only thought is, if you can catch another one, turn it loose in a tank and watch.
They hang on the bottom and "stand" on their pectoral fins.
Using hen feathers like lancer mentioned is good, if you tie it so the feather curves away from the body you will get a nice effect. Very swimmy. love the wabbit fur too.
Next to marabou, it is my favorite ingredient.
Water works a bit like wind, a ferrari cuts through better than a RV. Slender sinks faster.
Keep lookin, and tying. (Don't forget to pinch that barb too.)
Can't wait to see the picture of the fish that falls for it.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 12-08-2010, 06:46 AM

Well I tied up another using some of yalls advice and I really like the outcome of it. Used marabou for the fins, and made the head less puffy. Thanks again everyone.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:24 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Call it "The Elmo"