The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 09:28 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough
Default Lets C your Fly Tying Station

So as I get started in the business of tying flys and look thru different posts and Youtube videos I see several different tying stations. Some in the basement on a desk and some elaborate rooms. I think it would be nice to see where everyone does there tying and how they have it organized.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lets C your Fly Tying Station

Hi tracker,
I just used the search function and found a bunch of threads on "fly tying bench/desk" ,some with very good pics too.
I knew there was a few, but didn't realize there were so many. Take a peek.

Here's a good one.http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ng-station.htm

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 12-07-2010, 10:28 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I wouldn't want to anyone to see that mess! With the cold water temps here my tying has gone into bright and gaudy mode, there is no organization whatsoever but thats my style I guess. It looks like a Mardi Gras float exploded in my area.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:08 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

LOL I won't hide my shame.

In theory the drawers hold little plastic totes of material and the desk hold the material for the flies I'm tying, but in practice......

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-07-2010, 12:17 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Foam tying caddy is the only way I survive finding stuff. Thread holder is homemade, but looking for better ideas. Trash catcher is bottom of tea box (or cereal box). Storage is plastic drawers/tubs.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:03 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

It ain't the prettiest, nor is it the most user friendly, but it gets the job done. Home-made 'station'-- easy to dump spent materials from as it is only 16" wide by 12" deep. It can rest on just about any surface, and it holds a great deal of necessities (tools, threads, etc.). I put some magnetic strips on the left side-- don't know if it is obvious from pic. Also spent just the price of the magnetic strips (maybe $5.00) on it as it is built of scrap lumber.... And yes, that is the rudolph slider on it.... (See my 'Proud Papa' thread.)

The boxes behind are how I 'organize' materials-- body materials in one (dubbing, chenilles, etc.), Feathers in another, hooks and hardware (bead heads, cone heads, wire, etc.) in another and so forth...

Old 12-07-2010, 01:35 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Mine is spotless right now. Everything is put away. There is nothing on top of it. It is the first time in years that I have done that. I am taking a break from tying. Sometimes a break is needed.

Here are some desks of professional tyers.

Dan Blanton - guide, Umpqua Feather Merchants signature tyer.

Steve Cali - professional fly tyer

MP
Old 12-07-2010, 02:10 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

wow.... Steve Cali's is nicer that some fly shops I've been too.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-08-2010, 09:07 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Hahaha I know what you mean about those plastic drawers!
Old 12-29-2010, 12:31 AM

popsbrothers is on a distinguished road

Here is my Christmas present to myself. I don't have room in my cabin for a dedicated tying area so this is the solution. The tying station sitting on top of the chest is actually the bottom drawer. The chest is on wheels and I wheel it over to my computer desk and pull out the tying station and sit it right in front of my computer screen. I can use my mouse to watch videos while I tie new patterns. I lay a towel on top of the chest to organize my materials for the recipe I'm working on. It takes less than 3 minutes to put everything away and roll it back into the bedroom.

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

I finally figured out how to post the photo.