The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 02:14 PM

Easyway is on a distinguished road
Default Tulum Mexico Fly Fishing

Good Day
I am going to be in and around Tulum Mexico for about 7 days in March, does anyone know, is it possible to do some flats fishing on your own. Is it a must to have a boat? Is there a better place to go to walk and fish flats? Looking for some ideas. I will be honest, it has been winter here since late October and any open water will look good!!
thanks
Dwayne
Old 02-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Tulum Mexico Fly Fishing

Hi Easyway,

It may help if we knew where Tulum, Mexico is located.

Frank
Old 02-19-2009, 02:41 PM

South of Cancun, Mayan Riviera, on the edge of the Sian Ka’an Biosphere, next stop Punta Allen
Old 02-19-2009, 08:25 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Easyway,

My wife and I were in the Sian Ka'an Biosphere in May of 2008; fishing for bonefish / permit in Ascension Bay. It's great fishing there. Not crowded and plenty of fish.

There are two outfits that are worth checking out down there. One is Pesca Maya, which is where we stay and fished. They're almost all the way down to Punta Allen, which is at the end of the Boca Pailla (40 kms South of the entrance to the Sian Ka'an). They trek you 20 miles across the bay each day to fish on the flat that are North of Belize. Beautiful spot; reasonable wind and 5 species if you've got the skill and gear to handle them.

The other is Boca Pailla, which is located much closer to Tulum. They fish the achipellago on the western side of the Boca Pailla (Boca Pailla is not only the name of a fishing outfit, it's also the name of the isthmus that runs from Tulum to Punta Allen).

If you plan to stay in Tulum (interesting town!), then you can trek down the Poca Pailla by car and surf fish from any of the beaches that you find once you're in the Biosphere. You can get bones / jacks / permit (if you're lucky) fishing in the surf (which really isn't "surf" at all since the wave action is very mild). You can also contact an outfit called "Yellow Dog" - no joke - that's the name and they're online. They'll come pick you up at your hotel and take you fishing for the day down on the Boca Pailla. Good outfit from what I hear.

For rods, we took an 8, 9 and 10 wt. fitted with floating line (also had extra spools for sink-tip lines, but we really didn't use them that much except when trolling for barracuda). If you're only taking one rod, then make it a 9 wt.

All in all, the Mayan Yucatan is a really nice place to spend some time; whether you're fishing or not. Have fun!
Old 02-19-2009, 08:46 PM

Thanks for the info

Dwayne
Old 03-01-2009, 04:09 PM

Forrest is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm new on the forum. I am going to be in the Tulum area the week of March 15th and was thinking I would like to take a day to do some fishing.
I was just wondering what to take for flies.

I have been fishing since I could walk, but 2008 was my first year of fly fishing and I absolutely love it!! So I thought I would take advantage of the fact that I will be there anyway and go fishing.

Forrest
Old 03-01-2009, 05:57 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

If you hire a guide for the day (good idea), then don't worry about flies; simply use what the guide brings with him (they all carry a small collection of their favorite patterns and they're not particularly enamoured with patterns that aren't tied locally).

Case in point. When we were at Pesca Maya last Spring, we made friends with a couple of guys from NJ who were fishing over the same period as we were. One of them was a prolific tyer. He brought 4 large fly boxes; absolutely packed with flies. On the first day he proudly steeped up to his guides (they use tamdem guides a lot down there; one main guide and an apprentice; provides more employment opportunities for the locals) and showed them his fly selection; thinking that they would be impressed.

He opened the first box; they looked in and quickly and said "no". The second box "ah, hmmmm, no". The third box "hmmmm, oh, maybe this one, ah, no" and the fourth box "hmmm, no, sorry".

So, if you hire a guide, don't worry about flies.

If you don't then the patterns that work well off the beach for Bonefish, Permit, Jacks, etc. include Clousers and Deceivers; generally in a light color that fits in with the white/light brown sea bottom. Crab and shrimp patterns are also productive. Crazy Charlies are what gets tied on most. If you can find a local Fly Shop in Tulum, then that would be your best bet. Otherwise, pick up a good book on fishing for Bonefish/Permit and tie (or buy) what's recommended.

Enjoy!
Old 03-03-2009, 06:36 PM

Forrest is on a distinguished road

Thanks pocono, Ill be taking your advice.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:13 PM

bonefish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to bonefish

@ Forrest
Pocono is right on the money about the details for fishing down there. But don't rely on finding a Flyshop in Tulum, don't rely on finding any kind of Tackle Shop for that matter, nor in Cancun, not for flies.
I do independent guiding in this area on my off time myself, and yes the fishing is amazing if you get to where you need to be. Lots can be done on your own, but a guide will let you access some remote areas. Is usually a matter of how much you are willing to shell out for a trip, which can be costly but worth it if you can afford it. But yes, if you freelance it, bring lots of Crazy Charlie variants for sure!