The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 12:11 PM

bass_man is on a distinguished road
Default Ferrule Wax Question

I just received a early Christmas gift a St. Croix Ultra Elite rod. When I opened the rod tube there was a container of ferrule wax. My other rods never came with this so my question is how often are you to apply the wax to the ferrules on the rod and what is the benefit of using it?
Old 12-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ferrule Wax Question

This probably isn't the correct answer, but the only time I use ferrule wax is in the winter when I'm trying to avoid ice build-up on the guides. I've got neopreme waders and gloves, a heavy jacket and neckgater so I can usually stay warm but constantly having to break off ice on the guides is a pain.

Larry

Larry
Old 12-08-2010, 07:17 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

mines been in my top drawer with my 7x tippet for the past 2 years
Old 12-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The idea is to cut down on wear at the joints and to keep them tight when joined. Many Spey casters use it or tape their joints because of the tendency for them to come loose due to all the torque exerted with some casting styles.

I use a Spey rod and must have been born under the proper sign because I don't wax and my rod stays tight. If you do a lot of roll casting and I mean a lot, you may experience a loose joint now and then.

I put a message to you on the thread with your painting on it.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-10-2010, 12:17 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Like Ard said. There is a lot of controversy regarding the use of ferrule wax. Several well-known quality manufacturers recommend it and provide it with their new rods - Orvis comes to mind. Others recommend against it, saying that the wax attracts grit, which in time abrades the ferrule joints. Probably the most sophisticated consideration recommends the use of lubricants like U2 or Renzetti's ferrule lube, which is not wax but a lubricant which lightly coats the ferrule joints but does not leave a wax residue to attract grit. I prefer this, even on my Orvis and Sage rods which have a manufacturer's recommendation for wax.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:14 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

I use ferrule wax on the joints of my multi-piece rofs to hold them in line or from twisitng. As far as grit inside, wipe it off at the end of your day
Old 12-12-2010, 08:09 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Okay, I know this sounds crazy. I heard about a guy who got his ferrules stuck together. He finally got them unstuck, and asked this same question. The recommendation was to use the oil off of your nose. I have tried this method, and so far for me, it works. I take the male end of the rod piece, and swirl the rod on the outside of the nostril. This works best if you didn't just wash your face. If you don't like this method, but don't have wax, it may save you out in the field.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:10 AM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

Sage recommended I use ferrule wax. Winston didn't and instead preferred U2. This works most of the time but I find when I'm casting a lot say on windy days on the salt, I re-check the connections on a regular basis.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:06 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

I use it on my glass rods always. Keep in mind it can make the rod click when you cast it. I apply it once or twice a month in season. On my cane rods, i dont use it until the ferrules begin to wear. Once they get loose, i use wax to tighten them up a bit.

Dont fish graphite so i can comment.

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
Okay, I know this sounds crazy. I heard about a guy who got his ferrules stuck together. He finally got them unstuck, and asked this same question. The recommendation was to use the oil off of your nose. I have tried this method, and so far for me, it works. I take the male end of the rod piece, and swirl the rod on the outside of the nostril. This works best if you didn't just wash your face. If you don't like this method, but don't have wax, it may save you out in the field.
DO NOT do this to a cane rod. Causes corrosion on the ferrules, and leads to locked sections.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:26 PM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
I take the male end of the rod piece, and swirl the rod on the outside of the nostril.
I stick the rod inside my nostril. Seems to work good for me...... especially if I have a cold!