The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 02:11 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pentax Optio W90?

Anyone using this camera currently? I'm especially interested in how it does in macro mode with the light ring around the lens (i.e.: fly photography). Any sample photos would be appreciated. My son owns the WS80 model and it does a great job, but many on-line sites have had the W90 on sale for some killer prices.

Kelly.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pentax Optio W90?

Kelly: I've been using the Pentax Optio W90 since I dropped my old Cannon in the Green River this past May. I really like it and I took the photo of the Barr's Tung Teaser using it......please realize I'm not a great photographer so don't judge the lack of quality on the camera's fault and I haven't bothered to build a light box.

Barr's Tung Teaser

Here is my lame attempt at a March Brown also taken with the Pentax
Click the image to open in full size.

Here is my attempt at the grub:

Larry

Old 12-08-2010, 06:42 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Larry, did those photos utilize the light ring?
Old 12-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
Larry, did those photos utilize the light ring?
Kelly: Yes, but I didn't realize it was even there until you mentioned it. I use the digital microscope mode, put the camera on a small tripod, zoom in then press the shutter down half way and take a look at what I have, if it looks good then I take the shot. Like I said I'm not great at photography.

Larry

Old 12-12-2010, 09:55 AM

roryseiter will become famous soon enoughroryseiter will become famous soon enough

I have the Olympus 1030 SW that is awesome. It has a light in macro mode as well. But the waterproof, shockproof, freezeproof features are what I like the most.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:11 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Here is my lame attempt at a March Brown also taken with the Pentax

Here is my attempt at the grub:
There's nothing lame about that March Brown, Larry. That's a good looking fly and I'm sure it will catch fish. So's the grub and it will, too.

On the camera side, I'm currently using an old Nikon Coolpix 4500 camera (circa 2000). It takes good pics, but I'd like a better lens. I hope that Santa has been listening to me for the past several months and that there's a new Nikon Coolpix P-100 on its way! If so, look for lots of "test pics" on this forum shortly after the 25th!

Pocono
Old 12-18-2010, 05:08 PM

Sandwich is on a distinguished road

I can't answer to the Optio W90; I own the Optio W60 and it's a great camera. Pretty good picture quality, great size and easy to use.

I may be jaded, but at the beginning of the week I sent the W60 BACK to Pentax for the 2nd time in just over a year. The first time was for the SD card ejector, the mechanism broke and would not keep the storage card in place. This time, I went to charge the battery for Christmas; upon pressing the power button, the LCD on the back of the camera decided NOT to work. This rendered the camera useless except for a paper weight.

I would look into an extended warranty upon purchasing. Personally, I wish I waited for the W90!
Old 12-18-2010, 08:29 PM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road

check out the panasonic ts-2 as well. it is a great camera