The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 03:32 PM

fishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of light
Default Golden Trout

How rare are they? I catch them all the time in the higher elevations of Montana, no one ever knows what I'm talking about when I mention them though.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:28 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all
Default Re: Golden Trout

I know exactly what youre talking about. There are several rivers where the WVDNR stock quite a few golden. Since they are so visible and as a result are flogged by bait chuckers, they can be quite tricky to catch during certain times of the year.
Got any Pics? Id love to see how large they get out there.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 12-08-2010, 04:31 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

There's one in a stream near here. He's in the stretch of stream that is on the local museum's property, oddly enough. I'm not sure how happy they would be seeing someone fishing in the garden, so I've left him be.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-08-2010, 05:33 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a (seemingly) common misconception that yellow-colored trout are "Golden" Trout. I guess it's an easy mistake to make, but I wouldn't disrespect the pure Golden Trout found in high lakes and streams with the hatchery hybrids of a Rainbow Trout that are yellow in coloration (we call them "Banana Trout").

Here are some pics to help with the identification:

These are true Golden Trout, native to California, as well as some other remote places:
Click the image to open in full size.

These are Non-Golden Trout, not native to any waters as they are hatchery bred and planted in your local waters for put-and-take harvest:

Here is my first Banana Trout, which I caught this summer in a local pond:

Kelly.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:01 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

That is really interesting Kelly. Thanks for the clarification.
Here is the description from WV DNR website. I found it interesting that it mentions that WV golden trout are NOT true golden trout.

Family: Salmonidae

Common Family: The Trout Family

Common Name: Golden Rainbow Trout

Scientific Name: Oncorhynchus mykiss, color variant

Identification:

Golden rainbow trout are a deep gold or yellow in body color, with pinkish lower fins, pink or red-tones on their cheeks and a reddish lateral stripe. There is no spotting on the body.

Range and Habitat:

The West Virginia Centennial golden trout was developed in West Virginia as a color mutation of rainbow trout in 1963. Several other states in the eastern portion of North America have developed a golden rainbow trout in a similar manner. This should not to be confused with the true golden trout, Oncorhynchus aguabonita, which is found only in California. Golden rainbow trout can be found in most of the larger waters of the state that receive trout stockings.

Fishing Facts:

Most anglers find the golden rainbow trout difficult to catch. Golden rainbow trout are very calm fish, many times ignoring attempts to entice them to bite. The bright golden color makes their presence more obvious, drawing more angler attention. When one considers that fewer golden rainbow trout are stocked, representing about 5 % of the total amount, then one can see that the angling of a golden rainbow trout can be a unique experience.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 12-08-2010, 09:05 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I knew what you were talking about. I think people just call them Golden because they are gold colored. I saw a few of those" Golden trout" this past friday here in Oklahoma at the Lower Mountain Fork River.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:09 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

They dump these frankenfish in some ceement ponds out here and call them "Lightning Trout" so as not to slander the real Golden Trout. They are triploid and thankfully unable to reproduce, and only stocked in certain places by private enterprises. milt.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:33 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

We always called the yellow variants Palominos...

Dan
Old 12-09-2010, 09:31 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like these bad boys are all over the place. When I say "we" call them banana trout, I mean myself and those I fish with. The Idaho DWR dumped about 10,000 of them in my favorite new stillwater destination where we caught hog rainbows and some really good brookies. The ones they planted were about 10-inches long, and their size, combined with the color reminded us of swimming bananas. Because of their triploid nature, as well as their inability to reproduce, they claim they will grow to massive sizes, extremely fast, so, perhaps next season they will be competing with the bows , such is life.

Kelly.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

I use to catch California Golden Trout in the high Sierras. I had one spot that was about a three/four hour hike from the trail head. This spot was at a falls and above the falls were pure Golden's and below the falls a mix of Golden and Hybrids. The Kern River drainage was the home of Golden Trout but my fish were North of there. This was in the fifties and I hope they are still there. It is unfortunate that Rainbows have been planted in the wrong places and California Golden Trout are now endangered. Here is an article with some good information.

The Golden Trout in the Wyoming high mountains are imports from California and are true Golden Trout except for the hybrids.

Frank