The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2009, 01:22 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Swapping Stuff

I was reading the poll on chest pack vs vest, and found I like many others sometimes use a pack, and sometimes use a vest.

When I decide I am going to take my vest, I swap all my stuff over from the chest pack, tippets, leaders, sink, float, etc....

Do you all do the same, or do you make sure you have enough of all the critical stuff to keep both vest and pack fully stocked?

Dave
Old 02-21-2009, 02:21 PM

MontanaMoose will become famous soon enoughMontanaMoose will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Swapping Stuff

Hello webrx, when I was fly fishing every day of the season in NOCA, north of Redding, I'd sometimes use a chest pac and sometimes a vest. I had/have so much gear all I had to do was make sure I moved the license to whichever I was going to use on a given day. Din't really take that much to have two set-ups and typically one would be for steelhead for example, the other for trout water. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
Old 02-21-2009, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi webrx,

I think the best way is to have both the pack and vest ready to fish. It eliminates the chance that you might forget to change something over. I also like the idea of having more than one pack. You definitely want different leaders, tippets and flies for saltwater or bass or trout.

Frank
Old 02-21-2009, 03:16 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Agreed, I have three for trout, vest,pack, and lanyard, I have a pack for warm water when I am wadeing and a couple packs for the boat, I keep all of them stocked and ready to go.
Bear
Old 02-21-2009, 07:14 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Good info, and yes, I have been thinking along the lines of making sure i have all the tools, tippets, leaders, etc I need for both the pack and vest. Seems like in the winter time, I use the pack, cause it fits over all my warm clothes, and I have it packed with streamers, shot, and nymphs. Winter fishing is typically a few hours on the river, and then head on home.

In the summer, fishing the same river, its just my breathables and a shirt and the vest seems to be the ticket. I tend to be more apt to try a new place in the summer on a whim, then in the winter and the vest carries more stuff, including a snake bite kit and a snack or two. So I think that is why I take the vest.

When we take the boat out, we used to troll or spin fish, but I have been thinking about fly fishing from the boat this year after watching some still water fly fishing videos.

Just curious, as a beginner, I don't have enough of everything to fully load each the pack and vest, but I have been picking up a little here and a little there.

thanks again for the comments

d