The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 08:44 PM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about
Default Big vs Small

Here's a thought I'd like to hear opinions about. My friend Gary and I had a day last June when we only caught about five between us. But two of them were monsters, and we each lost some huge fish. We also had a day when we caught about 25 fish, none of which were bigger than about 12 inches. What would you rather do: have a "slow" day and catch a monster or have a day when you caught many average to small fish? Or does it matter--are either good for you?
Old 12-08-2010, 09:08 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all
Default Re: Big vs Small

Fish, big fish, small fish, even no fish, it doesn't matter to me. It's just all apart of the experience. Im just happy to be out and away from it all.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 12-08-2010, 09:12 PM

franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough

I could care less if I catch a fish or not, I just love being outdoors and rock hoppping. And if I get skunked on the stream I know theres always a willing blue gill waiting on me in the pond when I get home.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:12 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

How about big and a lot. I just want to fish, you will eventually get the big ones if your out there.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:13 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i personally like the days where you catch about 15 with 3 or 4 pigs. but i'll take what ever's biting!
Old 12-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

It really doesn't matter to me, sure I like to catch walter when I have a chance, but I'm fine catching lots of little guys or nothing at all, like the others have stated, I just like getting out and enjoying being on the water.

Larry

Old 12-08-2010, 09:33 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I always like to get a big one, but can be quite content catching a bunch of little/average fish as well. There was at least one exception, however. I was standing next to some fishing buddies (Powerbait guys ), gabbing away for about 3 hours. It was April 7, 2009, and the local lake had been stocked with
thousands of trout. They were catching trout left and right, and finally asked if I was going to fish that day. I had a #10 wooley bugger on my 5wt, and made two or three casts before hooking this 25" LMB:
Click the image to open in full size.

I didn't see the point in fishing for stocked trout after catching that bass, so I left! It was in the lower 40's that day, and you can see how red my hands are. I've had other days when catching a large fish took the luster off of the little fish, so I guess it's best to save the biggest for last.....
Old 12-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

This sounds vaguely familliar.......................... Most answers to this quandary in the past leaned toward the qualitative side of life. I have went fishing and found no fish but stumbled into a huge bog filled with Pink Ladies Slipper wild Orchids. Conversely I had a run of days in 2005 that left me with an aching right elbow, forearm and wrist because of the number of salmon I was hooking, fighting, and landing during this run. I remember both instances with great clarity and wouldn't be able to rate one over the other.

I guess I get some kind of an other worldly buzz going on when I slip into the outdoors and I always have. It's been this way since I was a little kid mesmerized while watching a spider weave its web or the way a bumble bee became loaded to the max with pollen as it made its rounds in our gardens. This business of fishing is a personal thing for many people who find themselves caught up in it. You can seek refuge in it or look for some source of enlightenment that is lacking in other of life's pursuits. It can be a source of lifelong education or it can be a quest for some level of personal best, the possibilities are almost endless. I have known men who took up sketching and then painting because of their love of fishing while others went on the pro bass circuit.

It's really something, just be glad you are doing it and that it is helping you to grow in ways that otherwise may not have occurred.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-08-2010, 11:09 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

This is really tough, I prefer 25-30 fish a day, give or take a few, aaaand none of them small... That's how I prefer it, but hey, that's just me.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:47 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Same as others said about just being on the water. If it's a few big ones, or lots of small ones put me down for lots of small ones. The most beautiful fish that I saw this year was a small Rainbow. I can't start to describe the coloring. It's the catch that I think of first from this year.