The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2009, 05:04 PM

jackh is on a distinguished road
Question hey and a quick question

hey my names jack and i live in texas

i have an old shakespeare combo that ive used for a while. id like to get a nicer setup and star fishing a lot more often though. i was thinkin of gettin everything at orvis since theres one closeby and their products are supposed to be good quality (i think). i want to be able to catch some bass with this, so i was thinking of the BBSIII with a 7/8 wt rod, maybe from their clearwater line of rods.

i was talking to the guy at the store the other day and he mentioned that this setup would be a good choice because i could double it for use in the bay for like redfish and stuff. is this a good idea? im a full time student, dont have a ton of money to spend so i was looking forward to this if its possible. if i got with the above mentioned setup and plan to use for fishing in ponds/lakes for bass and the bay or something, should i still get bass line or something else?

also, if i get a setup for bass, will i still be able to throw tiny poppers for bluegill? i was assuming i would, it just wouldn't be as fun since it wouldn't be as big of a fight.

thanks for reading, sorry it was so long.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:10 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: hey and a quick question

Hey Jack,
Welcome to the board man.
The orvis clearwater rods are great I own one in a 9' 8t I use it for bass and striper. The 7 wt would be a little big for bluegill but as you say the main the is the fight wont be as fun, but it would be a much better choice for bass and reds. I would go heavy for the bluegill then I would go lighter for bass and stuff.
Hope this helps
Bear
Old 02-22-2009, 07:35 PM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

I have a 9' 5wt. Clearwater II Mid. Flex 7.0 I really like.
I am going to change out the Orvis Wonderline to a Rio Windcutter.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:10 PM

Stan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really nice

One thing about fishing tackle, the more you spend, the better quality your going to get. Better to get a good rod (which you will eventually) and save all that money on cheeper rods that you will replace on your way to a good rod.

The better rods have a replacement guarentee if you break it. I just sent off my 5th rod in the last 2 years to be fixed. (Electric windows, car doors, and steped on when someone laid them in the bottom of the boat)
LOL
Old 02-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Jack, welcome to the board.

I agree with Stan.. to a point… but if you’re a student on a limited budget, I think you have a good plan with the Orvis gear, and you’ll likely see an improvement over the Shakespeare rod you have now. The Orvis gear would be a fine choice, except I’d go with the BBS IV (for line weights 7-9). The BBS III will be a bit small (for line weights 5-7).

And as others have said the Clearwater is a fine rod. I think either a 7 or 8 weight would be fine for bass, but would tend to lean towards the 8 if you were going to do SW too with it (because of wind) and it will let you throw larger flies, weighted stuff, bass bugs and poppers a tad easier than a 7 weight, but either way, a 7 or 8 would be great. Just hose everything down in FW after trips to the salt. Even though the rod and reel are designed to fish in SW it’s always a good idea with any gear since salt is tough on equipment.

The good thing about Orvis is that they stand behind their gear, so if you have a problem with any of it, they’ll treat you right.
You should have a blast with it, and I thought everything is supposed to be big in Texas, even the bluegills… I saw one of those humongous “everything is bigger in Texas” fly swatters you have down there in a souvenir shop and the flap thing was like 2 feet across…

But if you decide to get a lighter outfit for panfish down the road you could go for a less expensive reel like the Clearwater (about 40 bucks). It should be fine for that.

Good luck, and keep asking questions if you've got 'em.

Mark
Old 02-22-2009, 10:08 PM

thanks for the help guys. ya i guess my better bet would be the BBS IV on a 8wt clearwater rod. the guy at orvis mentioned a new rod line called streamline. he recommended it for what im looking for but its not in their magazine, i think its only online so far. i could stick with my shakespeare or even bump down in size but up in quality with like a 3 or 4 wt rig from orvis later on for panfish. the orvis magazine advertises the 25 yr guaruntee on the clearwaterII series, but i thought the orvis guy told me the clearwater series was cheaper because it didn't have a guarantee like the helios line. can anyone clear this up for me?

and ya we get some pretty big bluegills down here man. on light tackle they sure put up a heck of a fight. cant beat perch jerkin with a fresh cut cane pole in the river bottoms when your catchin big bluegill :-)

so if i go with the 8-wt clearwater II/BBSIV combo, what line should i put on it for the kind of fishing im wanting to do with it?
Old 02-23-2009, 03:34 PM

im guessing i should just go with the bass line from orvis for this set up. then get an extra spool for my reel and put saltwater line on it?
Old 02-24-2009, 07:00 AM

ended up going with the clearwaterII 8-wt tip flex and a BBSIV. put bass line on it.

the guy told me i could do some bay fishing with the bass line so ill just keep that on there.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:33 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Sounds like a ya got a good one
And yes them big gills are a ball aint they
Bear
Old 02-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, sounds like you have a great outfit. You shouls have a blast.

Mark