The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 01:07 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Boat hard-cover

1st time poster - not sure how to search for this.

I'm looking for some sort of movable hard boat cover. Like an A-frame on wheels that I can easily roll over the top of a drift boat, to keep the snow off it. I'd add side panels on it for end of season, to keep the snow from drifting in.

Basically, like those aluminum car/RV covers, I'll just add some wheels.

Anyone know of something that exists that I could buy and/or modify?

Thanks.. Dave
Old 12-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Boat hard-cover

Welcome to the forum Dave,

This sounds like a 'build it' to me. Why not tarp with the huge plastic type that are available?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum.

You will need a pretty good budget to get a cover that is ridged enough for you to roll around. After the first snow it would be a heck of of job moving it. If you have a drift boat isn't it on a trailer? I think it would be easier to move the boat in and out than to move the shelter. They do have quick deployment car covers. Along the sides are metal fasteners so the building is pushed back and the sides fold as you move it back. They are an aluminum frame with canvas cover. These cost a lot of money and probably not what you are looking for.

I have kept a few boats in snow country. Here is what I did. I made two uprights that had a flat base. They were made to set in the front and rear seat. The top was cut out so a 2X4 could fit into the cut out on end. That is the 4" dimension was vertical. I would place the stands in the seats and then put the 2X4 into the slots. The 2X4 made a ridge between the stands. Then throw a tarp over the top of the 2X4 and and fasten the tarp in place. I use bungy cords that I left fasten to one side of the tarp and all I had to do was pull the bungy under the boat and fasten to the other side of the tarp. Fold the ends and fasten them and it keeps the snow out. This is surprising stable. You can also fasten the tarp to the trailer if your boat is wide. The taller you make your stands the more easily the snow will shed.

Frank

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 12-10-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:07 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

Not movable but an alternative.
Alumaweld Boats Drift Boat 16 Boat Cover #DB1600 - Drift Boat 16' (2006) - Westland Semi-Custom 16' Drift Boat Cover - 40% Discount & Free Shipping - iboats.com
Or just add wheels
Carports, Garages, & Buildings
Old 12-09-2010, 05:18 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Thanks!

Frank.. that sounds pretty good.

Use the trailer as the support.. I didn't really think about that.

I was thinking push the boat into it's spot, put the softcover on, then roll the cover back over it. That was going to give me room to work on the boat when I needed to. But probably, once I need to put the snow cover on... it's not coming out for a while..