The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 04:23 PM

Pavel will become famous soon enough
Default Rod matches Reel vs line Wt?

I hear some people saying that they need to put,
Example: On a 5 weight Rod and a Reel they need to put one half to one Wt. higher so that it matches better with the setup. When would someone need to do this? Is it for faster action rods?

Thanks for any info,

Pavel
Old 02-23-2009, 04:58 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod matches Reel vs line Wt?

I always overline my saltwater rods , but I have only one fresh water rod that I'll do this to....and even that one doesn't need it.
I like the heavier line on the salty rods because I can cast a larger fly, and still use the lightweight rod. Also, the rod loads faster with less line. Good for a quick cast to a sighted fish or between breakers in the surf.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:33 PM

paulm is on a distinguished road

I am just getting back into fly fishing, but found a big difference in my old glass or bamboo rods to the new graphite rods. In doing a little research, it seems as if the marketing people have gotten into the line weight issue. They all want a rod to cast the longest distance so with the stiff graphite a light line will cast further. But at short distance it is not much good. If you will be doing short casts, it seems like you can go up 1 or 2 sizes with no problem except some loss of distance. In fact one report said that you can just about double the line weight. Don’t know if I would go that far, but it does seem that bringing alone extra spools of different weight would be a big help
Old 02-23-2009, 09:06 PM

RichardB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I always overline my saltwater rods , but I have only one fresh water rod that I'll do this to....and even that one doesn't need it.
I like the heavier line on the salty rods because I can cast a larger fly, and still use the lightweight rod. Also, the rod loads faster with less line. Good for a quick cast to a sighted fish or between breakers in the surf.
Rip Tide, that's an interesting and logical approach. I was thinking of ding that myself. Do you use the faster rods also? Seems like they would be able to deliver and pick up the heavier line a bit better.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:35 PM

Pavel will become famous soon enough

So I do not necessarily need a faster action rod(stiffer) to cast bigger flies but can stay with a medium to medium fast action rod and size up the line by one and this will allow me to cast some bigger flies?
Old 02-24-2009, 09:01 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

.....I have four 8wts.....I only over line the 2 med-fast that I use in the salt,
The slow and the medium action rods do not get overlined. In fact, the slow action (an Orvis Golden Eagle) I'll sometimes underline with a 7wt line

My 10wt on the other hand is a very fast action....I overline that rod by two with 12wt lines
Old 02-24-2009, 10:43 AM

Guy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
So I do not necessarily need a faster action rod(stiffer) to cast bigger flies but can stay with a medium to medium fast action rod and size up the line by one and this will allow me to cast some bigger flies?
Many of todays rods on the market are stiffer fast action rods that often perform better uplined as the heavier line loads the rod better at the shorter, more typical casting / fishing distances. Overlining a medium action rod action rod can be done as well and is an effective method to punch short casts (particularily into the wind). Attempting to go for distance with with a softer action overlined rod and heavy flies can overload the ability of the rod to carry enough line in the air and you may lose some distance.

Another trick to casting heavier flies is simply shortening the leader. Casting big flies is a lot easier with a leader that is only 4-7 feet long.

Guy
Old 03-03-2009, 10:41 PM

BigSky is on a distinguished road

I was at a Jack Dennis seminar recently and he said that with sinking line you should always use a line two sizes larger than your rod rating.