The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 09:32 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Fly Tying lights

What type of light do you use on your tying bench. Do you prefer Incandescent or fluorescent ( thank god for spell check)
Old 02-23-2009, 11:34 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Tying lights

Actually, I use three lights, an Ott-Lite is the main light, then I have a desk lamp and an incandescent boom light with a magnifying glass. I like to have all three going at once, can't get enough light with my aging eyesight.

Larry
Old 02-24-2009, 12:05 AM

RichardB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
What type of light do you use on your tying bench. Do you prefer Incandescent or fluorescent ( thank god for spell check)
LOL, I have that same problem with spelling flourescent, and I do a lot of lighting work, LOL.

Anyway, I've been fortunate enough to work on some lighting systems used in art restoration. Think about a restoration artist working on a 400 year old $1,000,000 value---or more---painting. They will nearly always use specialized incandescent lighting. This provides the best color rendoring index (CRI), spread and intensity.--and it's much easier on the eyes. I think the same would apply to tying flys. While some flourescent systems are getting close, they don't quite do it yet compared to these systems---although there are new technologies poping up all the time.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:43 AM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

Regular old desk lamp with a 60 watt bulb for me. Here's a pic. I think I spent $10 or $15 on this.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:51 AM

rag will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshort View Post
Regular old desk lamp with a 60 watt bulb for me. Here's a pic. I think I spent $10 or $15 on this.

Where's all your stuff??????? That desk is wayyyyyy too clean.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:25 PM

DSFlyman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshort View Post

That MUST be a catalogue photo. No fly tying bench is that clean - lol
Old 02-24-2009, 12:49 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Ott light with a magnifying glass. They go on sale about once a month at a local fabric store. So far I haven't used the magnifying glass but I'm a beginner tyer so don't know about how much it will get used.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:07 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I use two of those swing arm lights....with one each of the two hard-to-spell bulbs

Old 02-24-2009, 03:06 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
That MUST be a catalogue photo. No fly tying bench is that clean - lol
No, afraid my house is not nearly nice enough to be in a catalogue. I am a little anal and usually keep it pretty clean but I haven't been tying a whole lot lately so I haven't had a chance to mess it up.

My mom used to tell me that I had to have everything in it's place all the time. It might have an inch of dust on it...but it's in the right spot. That pretty much nails it. All my materials are in some drawers to the side of the desk.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:50 PM

FlyfishnakedInc is on a distinguished road

I use a combination of an Ott-lite and a bright halogen goose neck plus my desk is right under a picture window so i try and use as much natural light as possible. The problem is as I see it even Ott-lites can't replicate the spectrum of natural light as hard as they try. So if your tying and you wanna see what the real colors look like, take the fly out into the sun thats the test. Yes under water fly tying materials will change color due to the refractive qualities of water and diminished light. Example, in days of old spoons for fishing were coated in real silver cause its one of the only metals that won't change color under water modern lures are made of tin and nickle and turn grey under water. So artificial lighting is of course necessary but I use as much natural light as possible for true color. happy fishing