The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2009, 03:39 PM

Pavel will become famous soon enough
Default Fly Line?

I am picking up a TFO: 5 Wt. 4 piece Signature seies 9' rod with medium-fast action to have as an all around travel rod and to use for fishing bigger flies such as streamers and buggers for browns. I am wondering what would be the best choice of line for this rod to be able to use with what I mentioned or if I had to, could still use it with an #18 or #20 dry fly.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:21 PM

onlymidges will become famous soon enoughonlymidges will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fly Line?

I know a lot of people don't like this line but if you have the funds - go with the SA Shark Skin line. To me it is a great all round line. You can chunk size 2- 6 streamers and land small size 20-26 flies on the water with ease. It floats high on the water too. I have it in a 5wt. and going to buy a 3wt. soon.

I have the TFO: 5 Wt. 2 piece Signature series 9' rod with medium-fast action and it will sail the Shark Skin line as far as you want.

Jr

"Catch and Release"
Old 02-25-2009, 10:23 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I second the Sharkskin. If it is a fast rod, you could also look at Windcutter II. Light at the front into heavy and it shoots really nice.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:01 AM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough

Hey there!

I just got a new TFO signature series 4wt. with Sharkskin fly line. I used it for the first time yesterday. I like the line and the way it cast and sits in the water, but I actually got a little sore on my middle finger from that line. I don't want to knock it but it flet like a rope rubbing on my finger as I was stripping the line in.

Any advise as to what you all do to prevent that? Other than that it is awesome!!!

If I had to do it over again, I think I would have to go with Scientific Anglers fly line. It is smooth on your fingers.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:49 AM

Pavel will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the info. Anyone familiar with the RIO Nymph, RIO GOLD, or the RIO Selective Trout II fly line? Was looking at the windcutter as well that someone already mentioned as a good line for this type of application or setup.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:22 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoodwater2002 View Post
Hey there!

I just got a new TFO signature series 4wt. with Sharkskin fly line. I used it for the first time yesterday. I like the line and the way it cast and sits in the water, but I actually got a little sore on my middle finger from that line. I don't want to knock it but it flet like a rope rubbing on my finger as I was stripping the line in.

Any advise as to what you all do to prevent that? Other than that it is awesome!!!

If I had to do it over again, I think I would have to go with Scientific Anglers fly line. It is smooth on your fingers.
A little tape wrapped around your finger should do the trick. Or suck it up, fish a lot, and build up a callus.

Sep
Old 02-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
Thanks for the info. Anyone familiar with the RIO Nymph, RIO GOLD, or the RIO Selective Trout II fly line? Was looking at the windcutter as well that someone already mentioned as a good line for this type of application or setup.

I have the Gold, Selective Trout II, no nymph.
In your list, I prefer the Windcutter II first, then Selective Trout II, then Gold. I for some reason am not that impressed with the GOLD.
Air Flo has the RIDGELINE that is very sweet. Shoots really well and floats like a cork because of the lateral lines.

Tammy, they do make these felt two finger stripping gloves. I bought some because I fish allot of still water and the lines get sticky against my wet fingers. Not that the lines are sticky, just squeeky clean thing against my fingers.

I haven't had any soreness with the SS, but I do have ruff fingers anyway.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:10 AM

BigNick is on a distinguished road

I purchased a Wulff triangle taper in a 5wt a few weeks back and I just really like it. It feels so smooth. I liked it so much I just ordered another one in 4wt this morning. It cast great both long and short and it just slides thru your fingers. No line abraision with it. I plan to change my 3wt mastery trout for one just as soon as I feel I've got my moneys worth out of it. If you haven't tried one of these lines get your hands on one as soon as possible, you'll be glad you did. JMTCW
Big Nick
Old 02-26-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
I purchased a Wulff triangle taper in a 5wt a few weeks back and I just really like it. It feels so smooth. I liked it so much I just ordered another one in 4wt this morning. It cast great both long and short and it just slides thru your fingers. No line abraision with it. I plan to change my 3wt mastery trout for one just as soon as I feel I've got my moneys worth out of it. If you haven't tried one of these lines get your hands on one as soon as possible, you'll be glad you did. JMTCW
Big Nick
I agree it is smooth, but I had some on my 4 wt and my 3 wt and I HATED it. One rod that really likes it is the 5'3" Fenwick 5 weight. I know some really like it but I just don't get it.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:21 PM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sep View Post
A little tape wrapped around your finger should do the trick. Or suck it up, fish a lot, and build up a callus.

Sep
Ya, you are right I should start fishing a little more with a some tape on my finger. Or maybe get some stripping gloves like Joni said.