The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 01:48 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Ever seen or used..

one of these?

I don't, but it seems like a good idea. I'm almost tempted to get some and try it.

Description leaves alot to be desired.

Al's Goldfish - Named Top 50 Fishing Lures of All Time and Top Trout Lure by Field & Stream.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:19 PM

Merlin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ever seen or used..

I would think it would take away the natural action of the fly much like a swivel does in the salt so I say why bother.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:51 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I treid something alot like that years ago, fished about 2 hours with it and threw them away
Bear
Old 02-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Just one more thing for crud to get hung on.

Knots work for me, YMMV.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:54 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

They do work.. i tried them in the past but just moved on to just tying knots .. I can tie a mod. clinch pretty fast so they are really no advantage to me. I only used to use them for nymphing because they tend to make a dry land on it's nose. I use a loop on streamers so i guess they would work on them also although I never tried them on them. They also have these little barbed eyelets that you stick into your flyline & just tie your leader to the eye. Some one likes them because their still around for sale but I never had any luck with them... There are so many gimmicks & gadgets out there because we fly fisherman are an inquisitive & thinking lot. Can you just imagine some of the patents that were given for this sport.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:29 AM

BigNick is on a distinguished road

Now hold on fellows. These things do have their place. I started using them years ago on my crappie jigs (back in my jig pole days) and recently started using them on my fly rod.

I tie a lot of bream flies that I experment with. I like to take a handful to the lake and see how they cast, sink, and catch fish. These little clips make the change easy, quick and my tippet stays the same length with each fly. With wet flies they add to their weight and help sink them. With popping bugs they don't weight enough to pull them down. In their place I like them and I have found the bream don't seem to mind them either. Use the smallest size and give them a try. Now you trout guys may poo poo them but Hey, you might even play with adding some fur or feather to them also. Kind of a bug eats bug thing. Plus BPS sells a color dye that will change their color. Who knows? Never say Never.

tight loops,
Big Nick
Old 02-27-2009, 04:34 PM

catfish is on a distinguished road

your right they do have a place
i got some 4-5 years ago and there in the tackle box under the banjo minnow
i hated them they p/u to much crud